Friend & Foe 4

"Are you okay?" I hurriedly pat her back.

"Yeah it just went down the wrong hole" Dani coughs again. I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. Noah shakes his head while Julie furrows her eyebrows at me. I clear my throat and take a bite even though I can't taste it over the sick feeling in my stomach.

"That's what you get" sneers Ribera. Dani flicks him off while gulping down water. I look over at Haniel to see him watching me intently. I give him a tight smile then go back to playing with my bowl. I didn't feel like eating anymore. Nothing bad is going to happen Lilith. Who am I kidding? Everything has been going wrong. It takes me a while to realize the finger poking my shoulder.

"Everything okay?" Dani tilts her head.

"Huh- Oh yeah I'm fine." I shake my head. "My stomach kind of hurts that's all."

"I wonder why that could be" she replies in a sarcastic manner while looking over at Ribera.

"Stop" Ribera raises a warning finger.

"Ribera rhymes with Rabies" Dani deadpans.

I give them a humorless laugh and refocus on my bowl. They all finish eating while I leave mine barely touched.

Dani pats her belly "now I will be retiring to my chamber for the next week."

"We still have dinner" Julie jokes.

Dani nods "You're right. I shall retire to my chamber after supper." She walks out of the dining room and heads up the stairs. A part of me wants to follow and keep an eye on her, but I restrain. I lean back against the table and stare down at my hands.

"Andrea says hi" Ribera stands beside me. "She also says that Nurse Samantha's husband is picking out names for his baby boy."

"That man is missing a few braincells" I laugh lightly.

"He really is" he chuckles.

"How's she doing?" I face him.

"Better" he sighs "she sounds better."

"That's good" I give him a small smile.

"She also told me that she's been talking your mom's ear off."

My smile widens "We all know my mom loves that."

"Totally" he nods slowly "but they've been spending a lot of time together, so I think your mom's getting used to it. They 'watch us' together you know?"

"They do?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Yup so does the whole staff. They all gather and turn on the tv in the waiting room. It's like they're watching some fucked up reality show." He scoffs. I could tell how much the situation angered him.

"The same waiting room we met in?" I try to alleviate the subject.

"Yeah the one you yelled at me in for crying too loud." he points an accusing finger while smiling.

"I was trying to watch the game! And if I remember correctly I did give you a box of tissues." I raise my hands in defense.

"You threw it at me!" He raises his eyebrows.

I try to stifle a smile "nooo you just happened to catch it with your forehead." He laughs lightly and we both fall into a comfortable silence.

"It was the day Andrea got hospitalized. I was a wreck." Ribera stares at the floor.

I nod "you really were."

He lightly pushes me "shut up." I missed this. Before things got complicated between Ribera and me we were always making fun of each other and messing around.