Epilogue

Lilith's POV

It's been a week. I can barely eat. I haven't spoken to anyone since it happened. Except for yesterday. I yelled at a Rye for changing my bed sheets. It was the last thing I had that smelled like him. Now, I have nothing, but a letter. Alissa found it when they were cleaning out his room. It's my birthday present. I can't bring myself to read it. Maybe if I keep it unopened, he'll come back. They didn't even hold a funeral for him. But I did, along with Noah, Alissa, Tony, and Trey. I couldn't bring myself to write a eulogy. We already said our goodbyes.

But amidst all the ache, there's anger. At Elizabeth, and even Ribera. I know he did it for his sister, but I can't forgive him. All he is to me now is a killer. And ever since that day, the world seems darker, the white of it dimmed. I'll get her back, and I'll do it for him. I'll tear everything down and set it to burn. But to do that, I know what I have to do first. With shaky hands I unfold the letter. It's in my mother's handwriting.

I, Natasha Smith, mother of Lilith Diana Smith, consent to Haniel Alberta Cassano's wish to ask for my daughter's hand in marriage when she is no younger than 22. Haniel has approached me in the hospital numerous times to speak about the matter. He was stubborn and relentless. Which is why I have no doubt that he is qualified to marry my daughter. I've given my consent after reading his future vows. Lilith deserves the most caring man the world can give. And that is him.

A gasp breaks from my lips as I flip the page and the handwriting changes.

Lilith Cassano. You don't have to change your last name if you don't want to. I'm just lucky to call you mine. The first day I saw you changed my life. I was bleeding and had a blistering headache, but all I could focus on were those big dark eyes. It was like you saw right through me. But then you helped me up, and I felt your skin on mine. It made the pain bearable. When you were picked as house leader, I saw it. You weren't scared or confused. You were determined. All you thought about was protecting your friends and even me, a stranger you never knew. The first night we spent together, I slept comfortably for the first time in months. No nightmares, no cold sweat. I didn't even hear that ear piercing alarm. Not until you called my name. It never sounded so beautiful till you said it. Ever since that day, I pretended to sleep through the other alarms just so you would call on me more. Pretty pathetic, I know. But I didn't care. I wanted your attention on me, always. I wanted to be with you in every step you took, every hint you solved, every time you tormented Rye. I wanted to be there with you. And every day, we grew closer, and I started hating myself more. I wanted to tell you everything. I wanted you to trust me. But I couldn't do it. I was afraid of losing you, of losing what we had. Then one day, you were on edge. You tried to hide it, but I could tell. That was the most bittersweet day for me. You were crying in my arms, and it broke me. But then we kissed, and everything in the world turned bright. It felt like sipping water after a drought, or hugging cold air on a hot summer day. It felt right. And I've wanted to keep doing it ever since. At the day of the ball, I wanted to tell you before you went inside. I wanted to be the one to say the word then beg you to forgive me. I don't care who saw. All I cared about was you. To this day, all I care about is you.

But it was too late, and I saw something break in your eyes. I saw the trust you had for me whither, and I wanted to die right then and there. But I knew I couldn't leave you. So I did everything I could to get you to forgive me. And somehow, you did. And my world turned alight again. I know this is probably not what you expected as a birthday gift, but just know that this is an oath. To never hurt you again. To never break your trust. I'll count every last second till the day comes then I'll get on one knee and give you the most beautiful ring money can buy.

When I was a kid my mother told me love came in three stages. She called them the three circles. One, two people meet and get to know each other, two they form an attachment that no force on Earth can break, and three, they solidify their bond in any way they see fit. We already met, so that was one circle. We formed an attachment that I never deemed myself worthy of. The third one is going to be our wedding. But what I've been dying to tell you all this time is that I love you Lilith Diana. And I'll keep on loving you till my dying breath.

Author's Note

Believe it or not, writing this hurt more than the last chapter. The last paragraph is actually words that Haniel has said to me. This book is my gift to him, and also my apology. I was not in the right state emotionally to accept his feelings, and it is my deepest regret.

He remained the pure soul that he is and still wishes me the best to this day. I couldn't be happier for him that he got the happy ending he deserves in life.

Now for some less depressing news lol. I'm writing a new story called 'My Son's Nanny.'

So make sure to check it out!!!

Love you all and thank you for this journey.

Till I write and you read again...