Chapter 13

Author's Note
First and foremost, thank you all for the amazing comments and feedback!! It makes my heart so happy to see readers engaged, commenting and sharing ideas. Y'all have definitely motivated me to continue writing. I have decided to listen to the majority of the comments and have also taken note of some of your comments for future chapters. Thank you all for reading and hope you enjoy this next update!

Derek's POV

I hold Danielle as we finish the remainder of the movie. I can tell she's comfortable in my arms and I feel just as comfortable holding her.

The moment makes me wonder if anything will come out of this. My attraction towards her is definitely starting to grow but I also don't want her to think I'm taking advantage of her. The line is starting to blur as to what I should expect from our relationship.

When the movie is over, I look down to see Danielle sound asleep on my chest. Her hand is resting lazily on my stomach and her whole body is turned into mine. I'm ready for bed but don't want to leave Danielle.

"Hey," I say softly. I try to wake her up but she lets out a tiny groan and snuggles closer to me. She is deeply asleep.

I decide to wiggle to the end of the couch, all with Danielle holding on to me. It takes all my strength but I stand up while cradling her in my arms. She lazily holds onto me as I walk her up the stairs and into her room.

I nudge the door open with my foot and it's the first time I've seen Danielle's room. It's even nicer than the guest room.

In the center is her bed. It is covered with gray and blush pink pillows. There are also hints of gold incorporated throughout the room. It has a minimalist feel but at the same time is so warm and inviting.

I carry Danielle up to her bed and slowly lay her down.

"Please don't go," she whispers. I look at her and her eyes are closed. She seems to be sound asleep but she's talking in her sleep. "I don't want to be alone."

Her words pull at my heart but I remember that I don't want to give her the wrong idea. Because she's half asleep, I especially don't want to do anything that could be misinterpreted.

Instead I grab the oversized pink throw blanket that is at the foot of her bed and drape it over her. She snuggles under the blanket and falls into a deeper sleep.

Danielle's POV

I wake up in bed and slightly confused. The last thing I remember was watching Black Panther with Derek downstairs. I glance over at my bedside clock and it's 8 in the morning. The storm has passed and the sun is out. I can even hear birds chirping outside. I open my phone's weather app to see that the storm has indeed passed. It's 50 degrees outside and will be sunny the rest of the week.

I put my phone down then roll over in bed. What does this mean for things with Derek? If I'm being honest, I don't want him to leave. Just having him around the last two nights had brought me so much comfort. And I don't feel lonely for the first time in a long time.

But will he be willing to stay? I know he likes his independence.

Derek knocks on my door and I invite him in.

"You can sit," I tell him. He comes to my side of the bed and sits on the edge, facing me. I sit up in bed as well.

"So I saw on the news this morning that storm is over," he says. We both sit quietly, neither of us saying the inevitable.

"I... I don't want you to go." I stutter. "I mean, you're welcome to stay. I want you to stay." I sound like an idiot. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've really enjoyed your company these last two days. I know if you leave, you're gonna go right back to sleeping behind the bakery and I don't want that for you. I want you here for as long as you're willing to stay. As long as it takes to get back on your feet."

As I'm talking, I notice Derek's eyes start to water. I scoot next to him and pull him in for a hug. He wraps his arms around my lower back and I wrap mine around his neck and upper back. Once I'm holding him, he starts to sob.

"I... I've never been shown such kindness."

"You deserve all the kindness in the world." I'm crying now too. "Please stay."

Derek holds me and I can tell he's thinking about it.

"I don't want to be a bother," Derek whispers.

"You're not a bother at all Derek." We finally pull apart and I place my hand on his thigh. "I want you to stay. You can work at the bakery, save some money, and get back on your feet. I want to support you."

Derek looks at me then looks at the floor.

"What are your friends going to say?"

"Lizzy and Anna?"

"Yeah."

"It doesn't matter what they're gonna say," I respond. "Their opinion means nothing."

"And what happens if you get tired of me?" Derek asks.

"I find that highly unlikely. If anything, you're gonna get tired of me."

Derek laughs at that. "Okay," he finally says. "But promise me you'll let me know if I ever start to be a pain."

Now it's my turn to laugh. "That's not going to happen." I look up at Derek and he looks at me. As our eyes lock, I'm tempted to lean my face in closer. "So you'll stay?" I whisper.

When he nods yes, I can't help but smile from ear to ear.