Chapter 9

Derek's POV

I can't help but feel an overwhelming amount of gratitude for the kindness Danielle has shown me. She's an incredible woman.

As she exits the bathroom, I also can't help but take a glance at her. Not only is she incredible on the inside, but I see it on the outside as well. She's beautiful.

I push the thought out of my mind as I strip down for my shower and look around the bathroom and the guest room.

Danielle's place is really nice. The guest room is well decorated. There's a queen sized bed decorated with at least 10 pillows. The bed has a large duvet comforter and another two throw blankets for warmth. I'm so excited to sleep in a proper bed. It will be the first time I've been in a bed since last winter when I slept at the shelter.

I turn the shower on and neatly fold my dirty clothes, placing them on the side of the sink. I grab the body wash that Danielle gave me as well as a little bottle of shampoo from her sampler jar then head into the shower.

The hot water feels good running down my body. I first wash my hair then give myself a good scrub. As much as I enjoy showering at the shelter, it feels good to be in an environment that's private. I don't have to worry about making sure I cover up or am not being spied on by another dude.

When I'm done, I dry off then wrap the towel around my waist. I stand in front of the mirror and give myself a small smile.

I'm so used to hiding behind all this hair as a protection but for the first time in a long time, I feel completely safe. It's time for the hair to go.

I throw one of the extra towels on the floor to help contain the mess I'm about to make. My first step is to grab a pair of scissors from underneath the sink. I chop my shoulder length hair as short as possible. Once it's short, I plug in the clippers and shave my head. I do my best to line up the front but it's not perfect.

Next up is a trim for my beard. I'm not sure I want it all gone so I start with getting a close shave with the clippers. Once it's shaved, I decide to grab the razor and just go for a clean shaven look. Plus I think Danielle being able to see the actual me without all this hair will help put her mind at ease.

I can't help but chuckle as I take one final look at myself. It's hard to even recognize myself. I look a solid 5 years younger without all the hair.

Once I get all the hair cleaned up, I throw on the shorts and tee shirt Danielle gave me and head downstairs for dinner.

Danielle's POV

I get to work in the kitchen as I hear the shower water turn on upstairs. It's Friday night and the first bit of rain for the storm passing through this weekend has begun to fall. Perfect weather for soup. I get started on the Greek lemon chicken soup. The first thing I do is gather most of my ingredients: chicken broth, fresh lemons, onion, chicken soup base, white pepper, butter, flour, some rice that I cooked last night, chicken breast and eggs. I season the chicken breast with some salt and pepper then set them in a pot and allow them to steam. I also slice a french baguette and toss it in the oven. My mind races as I work busily in the kitchen, wondering what the evening will entail.

A half hour passes and the soup is almost complete. I'm in the middle of setting the table when I hear footsteps. I'm about to set down the ceramic bowl that I'm holding but not before I glance up. I look up to see Derek coming down the stairs. Except, the man I see is completely different than the Derek I know.

Those electric blue eyes are still there but the long, shaggy hair is completely gone. So is the beard. His hair is buzzed short and his face is completely clean shaven. For the first time, I can clearly see his face and I'm shocked to admit that he's absolutely gorgeous.