Chapter 36

Yes, yes, it's been a minute. Hehe! I appreciate everyone who has stuck around and continues to read.

I started writing on Wattpad when I was about 15 and had time to be updating regularly. I am now 24 and have a lot going on. Hahaha! For those who care, I've actually accepted my first travel nurse job and am in the process of moving across the country. It's been a journey!!

Anyways, please enjoy the latest update!

(Also, more has been added to 35.2. Please go read before reading this!!)

Thank you again for reading & commenting. And an even bigger thanks to those who have posted on my page to make sure I was okay. I appreciate you guys so much. ❤️

Danielle's POV

When I return home, I can immediately sense that there is tension between Derek and Asher. Asher is sitting at the dining table with his head down and Derek is at the kitchen island with his hands folded on the counter.

"Hey... guys..." I say hesitantly as I lock the front door behind me. "Everything okay?"

Derek looks at Asher before looking back at me.

"Why don't you come sit next to me babe," Derek finally says, breaking the awkward silence.

"Okay..." I walk over to the island and sit next to Derek. We turn so we are both facing Asher.

"So...?" I say. "You guys are being really weird and not in a good way."

Asher sighs loudly before lifting up his head. "I got high last night. In the bathroom."

Asher's news is slightly shocking but I don't react right away. I contemplate what he's just told me as Derek rests his hand on my thigh. I can tell he's waiting to see how I'll react.

"Well," I finally say after a few moments. "I guess that's why you're going to rehab Monday. Thanks for telling me." I pause. "But it's not going to happen again, is it?"

"No, it's not," Asher says. "I swear it will never happen again. I just... I need help. I feel like I have no control."

"Yeah," I say. "That's part of addiction. Your brain is wired to chase that original high."

"I'm sorry," Asher says. "I'm so, so sorry Danielle."

"It's okay Asher." Part of me is thankful that this was all the news he had to tell me. I was scared he was going to say he wanted to leave. "I appreciate you telling me. And if you promise it won't happen again, I believe you. Did you get rid of all the drugs?"

"Yeah, Derek flushed them down the toilet."

I look over at Derek. "Is that why you were in and out of bed last night?"

"Yeah," he says, nodding slowly. "We got it squared away but I wanted Asher to tell you."

"Ah, okay," I nod. "Well, I appreciate it." I hop off the stool. "I'm gonna go shower and then maybe we can get some lunch."

Derek's POV

That went... very, very well. I glance at Asher as he sulks back onto the dining table.

"You happy?" he mutters.

"It wasn't about me being happy Asher. It was about doing what was right. And I'm proud of you for doing that." I walk over to the him and take a seat next to him. I place my arm around his shoulders and pull him close. "I know it's hard Asher. You lose control and the drugs take over but it's gonna get better. I promise you it's gonna get better. You get to go to rehab in a little over 24 hours and it's gonna change your life around."