Chapter 17

Derek's POV

We take a 30 minute subway ride to get to Goodwill. It's clear across the city from where the shops are but close to the shelter so the neighborhood feels comfortable.

We walk into the store and I feel at ease. It's the way I'm used to shopping. Everything is used, the store is a bit messy and unlike J. Crew, we don't get welcomed in.

I lead Danielle to the men's section and start to go through the pants.

"These are nice," I say, taking a pair of dark wash jeans off the rack.

"Yeah," Danielle says. "I like them."

We head to the t shirts and I grab three tees. They're on sale, 3 for $5. I grab an orange one, a green one and a light blue one.

"To compliment my eyes," I say, winking at Danielle.

She gives me a bright smile and I can't help the huge smile that also comes to my face.

We go through the dress shirts and I'm able to find two nice button downs that both have brand new tags on them.

"I didn't know they had new stuff at Goodwill," Danielle says.

"Yeah, they're a bit rare but every once in awhile, you can find brand new stuff."

"And it's Calvin Klein?" Danielle asks. "That's a good brand."

I grab the shirts off the rack and start heading towards the register.

"No pajamas?" Danielle asks.

"That's one thing I won't buy used," I say, making a face.

Danielle laughs. "Okay, I'm glad to hear that."

We head to the register and check out.

"That will be $24.75," the cashier says. I reach into my back pocket and pull out my wallet. There's about $300 cash in there from working at the bakery. I pull out $100 and the cashier gives me my change.

"Thanks," I say, grabbing the paper bag off the counter.

Danielle and I head out the door.

"If you don't buy pajamas used," Danielle says, taking my hand in hers. "Does this mean we get to go to Old Navy?"

I look at her. All I can think about is how easily we've started holding hands. It only started today and yet, it feels so natural.

"Yes, we can go to Old Navy," I say, jokingly rolling my eyes.

Danielle skips next to me excitedly. She is so cute when she gets her way.

Danielle's POV

When we get to Old Navy, I try to let Derek lead the way. I immediately spot a pair of grey sweatpants that I know Derek will look absolutely yummy in. I stop myself from insisting he get them but it's hard to keep my mouth shut.

Derek walks towards some flannel pajama pants first and I try not to show any disappointment.

"What do you think of these?" he asks, grabbing a pie of black and red flannel pants.

"They're... very Christmas-y," I say. "Just in time for the holidays I guess."

Derek chuckles. "Would you rather I get those boring grey sweats?"

"Actually yeah," I say, laughing a bit. "I actually think they'd look very sexy on you."

"Sexy?" Derek questions. "Grey sweatpants?"

"Yeah." I try not to blush as I think about just how sexy he would look shirtless in a pair of grey sweats, with just a bit of an outline showing in his most intimate place.

"What's so sexy about grey sweatpants? " Derek asks, picking up a pair of grey sweats. I can tell his question is innocent but I start to get hot thinking about having to explain myself.

"I... I don't really know how to explain that." I finally settle for. I don't want to scare Derek off with my wild imagination. "It's just something about it."

"I guess I'll get the grey sweats," Derek says, grabbing a size large. "But I want the flannel too."

"Hey, as long as you get the grey ones, I don't care what else you get."

I can tell Derek is still a bit confused but I'm happy.

He grabs a few solid colored tank tops.

"Alright," he says, "I think I'm ready to check out."

"Sounds good," I say, following Derek to the register.

"Your total is $74.50," the cashier says. I watch Derek pull out his wallet and hand the cashier a $100 bill. As much as I wanted to pay for our little shopping spree today, I know I have to allow Derek to do his thing. I feel like my hands are tied but I'm also happy to know that he isn't one to take advantage of another person's kindness.

"You still up to go to Target?" I ask Derek as we exit Old Navy.

"To be honest, no." Derek gives me a weak smile. "Today has been a long day already. Plus it's my day to make dinner. Maybe we can swing by the grocery store on the way home?"

"Okay," I say, sliding my hand into his. "But it's actually my day to cook dinner. Remember? It's Sunday."

"I was hoping you wouldn't catch that," Derek says. "Can I cook just this Sunday? I have something in mind."

I decide not to fight it. "Sure," I finally concede. "There's a Whole Foods around the corner from home."

"Sounds good." Derek raises my hand to his lips and places a small kiss on it. "Let's go."