Chapter Thirty

- Heidi's POV -

I watched out the window of the control room as the boat stopped a few metres away from the peir where the crowds watched and Winter's sisters were trapped in the tank. This is cruelty on a new level.

My dad stepped out to the front of the boat with a microphone in his hand, the crowds went silent.

"Today we are going to catch the final mermaid, so she can be shown to the world and also be with her friends!" He shouted while pointing to the tank on the pier, everyone cheered. I kicked the door harder with anger and rage while my dads friends on the boat stared at me and laughed.

Summer and her little sister looked so frightened, there was so many people surrounding the tank that they were in. They must be feeling way worse than I feel right now.

- Winter's POV -

I looked up to the surface nervously, I could see all the humans on the pier and I could hear them shouting. Then I looked off into the distance to see the object again, Heidi's dads floating object. I looked down suddenly feeling scared of what I was about to do. What if I fail?

"You can do it Winter!" I heard Maria shout, I spun around quickly to see everyone from the reef cheering and smiling at me, woah.

"Go on Winter!"

"You're amazing!"

"You can do this!"

"You're so strong!"

I smiled widely and turned back to the beach, its now or never I guess. Without any thought I swam quickly to the surface to see lots of humans standing on the pier and the beach, they were all looking at the object. I glanced over to see Heidi's father smiling and waving at them all, then I noticed Summer and Autumn in a huge tank..

"Hey! I'm right here you know!" I shouted loudly, all the humans stopped shouting at turned their heads. Everyone gasped but I didn't know why, they have been looking at two mermaids for ages now. Why are they surprised at me?

Heidi's dad grinned widely at me before looking back at some other men, I looked over at them then noticed someone inside the boat struggling to get out. It was Heidi.

She stared at me like she was in shock, I smiled at her with confidence.

"Get the net ready boys! It's time to catch the cocky fish" Heidi's dad shouted, the men laughed at his comment and grabbed a huge net. The crowds began to chant and shout again.

"Catch the fish! Catch the fish!" They shouted, Summer and Autumn looked at me with fear and worry. But I knew I could do this. The engine began on the object and it started to approach me, I dived under the water quickly and thought of a plan. I need to save my sisters, that includes Heidi.

I appeared at the other side of the object, quite far away from it. The floating object was incredibly slow, he really needs to get a new one. I laughed to myself then lifted up my left hand and pointed it to the tank on the pier.

"Cover your eyes!" I screamed to my sisters, they both looked away quickly before the glass tank smashed to pieces. All the humans around it began to scream and run away.

Summer and Autumn grabbed onto each other before free falling off the pier into the water, I knew this was going to hurt.. so I had an idea.

I lifted my other hand to the water below them which created a huge wave, it caught them safely and they dived under the water. Everyone on the beach stood in shock, even the men on the boat.

I could hear everyone from the reef cheering under the water, I smiled widely.

"Catch that fish, now!" Someone shouted. The object travelled quickly through the water towards me, I gasped and dived under seeing everyone from the reef swimming away quickly. I panicked and didn't know what to do until I was trapped in a net.

"We've got her!" One of the men shouted on the boat, I heard the crowds cheering.

The net began to raise and so did I, out of the water and into the arms of three men including Heidi's evil father. They all stared at me for a moment as I struggled to try and get away.

"She doesn't look like the other ones we caught before" One of them whispered, they looked at each other.

"Just hurry up and go get the other tank!" Heidi's father shouted to the men, they walked off to the other side of the object and he was left holding the net.

"Get away from her!" A girly scream came from behind him. Then suddenly Heidi was angrily attacking her own father?! He accidently let go of the net and I fell back into the ocean.

"Heidi look what you did!" I heard him scream as I hit the water, I need to protect her.

"Come on Winter lets get out of here!" Autumn shouted from the edge of the reef, I shook my head and swam to the other side of the object.

I need to protect my best friend.