Chapter Twenty Two

- Heidi's POV -

The next morning I woke up still lying on the floor. It was surprisingly comfy. I sat up slowly and rested my back on the bed while taking a deep breath in. It was only 8:00am which meant school in one hour.

"HEIDI!" I heard my dad scream from the bottom of the stairs, which lead with some stomping and then my door flying open and almost coming off the hinges.

"Wow calm down" I muttered as he approached me angrily. Unexpectedly he grabbed me by the hair and lifted me up, I screamed in pain.

"What are you doing!!" I shouted while trying to get away from him, the anger in his face was incredible.

"You have been ditching school?!" He shouted while spitting in my face like he usually does. I stared at his blood red angry face with fear.

"Answer me!" He shouted again, I nodded quickly.

"I pay for you to go to that private school. When I could be buying better things!" He tightened his grip around my hair and hit me around the face. This has never happened before..

"I-I'm sorry! I'll go in the future!" I pleaded while crying loudly.

"No you won't. I'm removing you from school, so you can just stay inside and clean like you usually do" He said before throwing me onto the ground and storming out of my bedroom, I cried silently on the floor.

- Winter's POV -

I opened my eyes slowly to a faint light in the distance, it was morning! It was still dark all around me as I was at the bottom of the ocean, but looking up I could see the sun. My arm was still in pain but sleeping had made me able to swim.

I swam up out of the black darkness quickly and suddenly felt better when I could see all around me again. I glanced down at the scar on my arm and gasped, it was bigger than I imagined..

"Winter?" I heard in the distance, I looked around to see Maria swimming towards me. I hid my left arm behind my back.

"Where have you been all night? I was worried" She said with a frown on her face, I laughed nervously.

"Its a funny story actually. I was just lying here and then I fell asleep!" I said with a nervous smile, she raised her eyebrow at me.

"Lets go back to my cave. I'm sure you're hungry!" Maria said before grabbing my hand and swimming into the reef. I sighed sadly.

As soon as we got back to Maria's house her mother hugged me tightly, it was awkward.

"I was so worried Winter! I thought those filthy humans had got you too" She said, I rolled my eyes and swam into Maria's bedroom. Maria followed after me.

"Oh my gosh. You have a scar!" Maria shouted loudly while pointing to my arm, I shushed her and slammed her bedroom rock.

"Don't shout that! Your mother could hear!"

"Where did that come from? Why are you sad?" She said asking as many questions as possible. Suddenly I felt a striking pain in my heart which made me fall to the bottom of her bedroom.

"Winter! Whats wrong?!" Maria shouted in panic as she examined me, I couldn't feel my chest.

"Its your heart.. Wait, that means you're in love" Maria whispered, my eyes widened and I looked up at her.

"When a merperson gets pains in their heart it means the other merperson they love is in danger! Winter you're in love!!" She shouted all over her bedroom. Wait, in danger?

But who do I love?

And why would they be in danger?

...Heidi.