Chapter One

**TRIGGER WARNING**

Self harm is mentioned in this story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day of my first birthday was the day of my mothers last. It was a sad yet happy day for everyone on the reef.

They always said my mother was adventurous, she would do anything for anyone who was in need.

"I'm going to tell you a story about your mother.." My father said to me one summers day. The ocean was slightly warmer than it used to be.

"The day of your first birthday, your mother wanted to get you a special gift. The same one her mother gave her when she was only a little mergirl like you.. She swam across the ocean for days looking for the perfect present for her little girl, that's you by the way.

Above the water there were terrible storms and the waves on the ocean we're going crazy, which made it hard to swim. Your mother was alone and it was late at night.

Suddenly a huge ship appeared, it was struggling to travel through the crashing waves. Your mother didn't see the ship, it was going at full speed and hit her from under the water. One merman passing by found her days later on the bottom of the ocean, and she was dead."

"Why did mummy travel so far for a gift daddy?" I asked with a huge frown upon my face.

"She loved you very much, she wanted you to have her mothers necklace which she lost far across the ocean.. Which she was trying to find" Father said while stroking the top of my head. He sighed loudly and bent down to my level.

"Human beings are evil creatures, they gang up to defeat everything else. They have to be on top, while everything else has to be down. They would kill us if they had the chance.." He said angrily.

"But daddy, it wasn't the humans fault. They didn't know mummy was under the boat" I said in my high pitched voice.

"Of course they knew she was there, they just wanted her dead. They want everything dead but their own"

At this time I was only six years old. I obeyed my father and the words he said. He told me that all humans were filth, greedy, hurtful creatures and I believed him.

I'm sixteen now, I have a mind of my own and I want to discover the rest of the ocean, but my father won't let me.

Are humans really that bad?