xix. Third Year's End

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter nineteen | third year's end

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

MADDIE'S THIRD YEAR seemed to end in a blink of an eye, after the events of the Shrieking Shack.

Jake and Jess had visited her as soon as possible - Jake greeting her with, "The fuck have you done now?" - leading her to explain to them every single detail - exaggerating most of it - but leaving out the fact that Sirius had escaped by Hippogriff. Even she had known that was much too confidential to share. However, she had managed to convince them he was innocent, and so that was something.

"It was weird, you not being around," Jess had said. "We looked for you everywhere, we thought you might be with Lee,"

"We thought you were going to pull some horrible prank, and that's why you were gone for so long," said Jake. "Had us on our toes the whole night, and it was all for nothing. Unacceptable,"

Hermione had laughed at Jake's remark. He'd been in an extremely jolly mood for the rest of the day.

"Well, at least you can get back at Malfoy, now," Ron had said, nodding to Maddie's broken arm. "Make him cut up your things in Potions,"

"Yeah, and I can give you a new nickname, now," Maddie had replied, nodding to his broken leg. "Hop-a-long,"

Ron sighed, and shook his head (a smile still on his face, though!). Harry snorted.

Madame Pomfrey had forced them to stay in the hospital wing for a few more hours, much to Maddie's dismay. But it went by quickly - Maddie did use the time to catch up on some sleep in between her extremely restless moments.

Ron had taught her to play chess, but he was far too good at the game for her — so when he took her Queen for what must've been the fifth game in a row, Maddie called him an 'orange prick' and refused to play anymore. Ron was pretty amused, to say the least.

Upon leaving the hospital wing, Maddie had decided to join her two best friends and the rest of the school in going to Hogsmeade, taking advantage of the sweltering heat at the end of exams.

Apparently word had already spread of Lupin being a werewolf, thanks to Snape — and so rumours were spreading not only about him resigning, but of his actual transformation the previous night. Maddie felt bad and tried her very best to tone down what happened when their old Professor became a werewolf — but there wasn't much you could say to tone it down, so instead she'd just try and change the subject.

However, nobody at Hogwarts now knew the truth of what had happened the night that Sirius, Buckbeak, and Pettigrew had vanished except Harry, Ron, Hermione, Maddie and Professor Dumbledore - and, well, Jess and Jake were aware of Maddie's watered-down version of the events (she had to tell someone, OK?).