xi. Cat vs. Rat (Again)

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter eleven | cat vs. rat (again)

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

CHRISTMAS WITH THE JORDAN'S had always been a happy, yet hectic time of the year - the chaos caused by none other than the two siblings who went from fighting against each other for one second to teaming up and annoying the shit out of someone else the next. A pretty average sibling relationship, Maddie would call it. At least, for her and Lee, anyway.

In fact, most of the time they ended up teaming up together because neither wanted to get bollocked by their mother - their Dad was a bit of a softie, he'd take their pranks lightheartedly. Plus, he didn't really like telling his children off, he left that job for his wife, unless he really had to get involved. But Mrs Jordan? No chance. Maddie had learned the hard way what her mother's limits were - she could still remember how terrified she was after accidentally getting a pile of slime stuck in the woman's hair, after aiming it at her brother and missing.

Lee'd had his fair share of scoldings from her, too - like the time when Maddie was around eight years old and he'd convinced her to sit on the roof with him and throw dungbombs into their horrid muggle neighbour's garden. He still believed the woman had it coming - he'd never forgiven her for the day all those years ago, when his toy broomstick accidentally ended up in her garden, and she'd snapped it. Bitch.

So, really, you could not be surprised when somebody calls Christmas with the Jordans eventful. Because they weren't wrong, not at all.

"Lee, fuck off! I know you're trying to ruin my cake, get out of the kitchen you shit!"

Maddie was currently making a Yule log - and it was going well, until her brother decided to show up in the family kitchen in a mischievous mood, his current mission aiming to piss off his little sister as much as possible.

"I'm wanna help!"

"No you don't! You're trying to put shit loads of baking powder in it so it'll explode in the oven,"

Lee laughed.

"I reckon I could be a good cook, you know,"

Maddie raised an eyebrow. "Really? Do you think you could follow a recipe? Like properly?"

"No... but I can make an unreal boiled egg,"

The younger Jordan pulled a face, before continuing with her baking, now on edge because she knew her brother was near and had the potential of ruining it.

"Lee, are you bugging Mads?" A voice from the doorway sounded, and the two brunettes whisked around to find their mother, assumedly on a break from present-wrapping due to the red bow stuck to her jumper.