vii. Inter-House Sleepover

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter seven | inter-house sleepover

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

"I'm convinced that we would get more educational value out of potions if it was taught by a dragon," said Maddie, taking her usual seat in Snape's class and assuming nothing but a normal lesson of being ignored ahead of her.

"At least the dragon would attack us indiscriminately,"

Maddie turned her head and blinked at the red head sitting beside her in shock, letting out a surprised laugh. He stared down into his book, avoiding eye contact.

"Was that a joke Ron Weasley?" She said, raising an eyebrow. "An actual joke, instead of ignoring me? Are you feeling okay?"

She pressed her hand to his forehead jokingly, and he swatted it away.

"Only because it's probably just easier for us to get on," he said slowly, struggling to find the words. "We are in Potions, don't want to make it any worse, you know?"

"Right," Maddie grinned, unconvinced. "Or you've just given up pretending to hate me?"

"I- No, it's not that," Ron said. "I never hated you... hate's a strong word... I just... I dunno..."

"You think I'll get you into trouble,"

"Well... kind of..."

"I mean, I'm not gonna make any promises, because I probably will, Ronnie, I'm not gonna lie,"

"Yeah," Ron nodded, clearly not surprised. "But, you told Snape he couldn't teach, so..."

Maddie laughed.

"Well, I guess you could just say I made your heart explode," she taunted, causing Ron to scoff.

"Don't push it, Jordan, or I might just take back everything I just said,"

"Ah, well, it only took about a month,"

"A very long month,"

Luckily for them, Draco was in the mood for irritating somebody else today, and so sat himself next to a very fractious Diana, so that he could force her to chop his ingredients instead - leaving Maddie and Ron on their lonesome, yet again.

"Today you will be working in pairs," Snape announced, through his usual sneer and gloomy tone. Ron groaned, in contrast to Maddie, who whooped.

"You will be making a 'Confusing Concoction' which has a difficulty level of simple to moderate, meaning I expect the majority of this class with a brain inside their thick skulls to succeed in completing outstandingly. However, those who do not," his sparkling eyes landed on Neville, who's face reddened - before Snape turned to Maddie. She beamed and sat up straight. "Shall face the consequences, considering you are in your third year now, you should be able to produce a perfectly well mixed brew that has been correctly taken care of,"