xiii. What a Match

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter thirteen | what a match

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

RON PROMISED he did not mean to get Maddie Jordan involved with Buckbeak's appeal - but, look, he was running out of options, and he needed the help.

At first, when taking it on himself to reduce Hermione some stress, he thought it'd be easy - just a simple task that would be added to his list of things to do, like an extra homework, or something.

It was the Easter Holidays, and for some reason, everyone was piled up with so much homework - despite the fact that, like Seamus had roared at the common room one afternoon, the exams were ages away.

Hermione was piled up with tons of work to do thanks to her taking so many bloody lessons, even though she had stormed out of Divination. She was last to leave the common room at night, and first to enter the library the next morning. She had shadows like Lupin's under her eyes and seemed constantly close to tears - Ron couldn't blame her, he'd cry if he had that much homework, too. Just the essays from Snape were enough, let alone all the other lessons.

Harry was busy with Quidditch practice - which meant being forced to go to train almost everyday, not to mention Oliver Wood, the Quidditch Captain, having endless discussions with him everyday about tactics.

So really, Ron was the only one who really could work on Buckbeak's appeal out of his friends - and well, as he'd mentioned, it was too difficult to work on alone.

Plus, Ron didn't exactly go looking for help. Maddie was the most nosiest person Ron had probably ever met, and she never once thought that perhaps she should dial it down. So, on the first day back after the Easter holidays, packing away from Potions - after discussing Hermione's exit from Divination yet again, and listening to Maddie express her thoughts on the matter - which were pretty much only focused on her, anyway, ("Well, if Trelawney predicted Lavender's rabbit dying, and Hermione ditching the class, then I want to know where the hell my unexpected gold is!"), the girl caught sight of one of the enormously thick books hanging out of Ron's bag.

She didn't think anything of it - but, this is Maddie we're talking about, so of course she was going to find a way to take the piss out of Ron for it.

"What's this?" She snorted, catching sight of The Handbook of Hippogriff Psychology sliding out of the top of his bag. "You planning on making friends with the Hippogriffs, or something? Thinking of expanding your little trio?"

"It's nothing," Ron said, pulling a face that implied he was slightly pissed at himself for letting the book in Maddie's sight.

The girl cackled. "Ron, I know the teachers are making exams a way bigger deal than what they are, but I honestly don't think befriending the things are going to make you pass Care of Magical Creatures-"