xxi. Basic Instinct

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter twenty one | basic instinct

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

THE SPEED OF THE PLAYERS WAS INSANE — nothing like Maddie had ever seen before. The Chasers were throwing the Quaffle to one another so fast that Bagman only had time to say their names.

Maddie wasn't feeling as badly about not having Omnioculars now — watching the players with their rapid speed was much more exhilarating rather than analysing their every move.

"TROY SCORES!" Bagman roared, and Maddie let out a loud, excited cheer alongside her friends. "Ten zero to Ireland!"

"What?" Harry yelled, looking wildly around through his Omnioculars. "But Levski's got the Quaffle!"

"That's 'cause you're not watching at normal speed, you bell-end!" Maddie told him, although her eyes were elsewhere as Troy was now doing a lap of honour around the field.

The leprechauns watching from the sidelines had all risen into the air again and formed the great, glittering shamrock. Across the field, the veela were watching them sulkily.

"Can't believe you missed that goal, Harold," Maddie turned to the boy, who was now spinning his speed dial back to normal with an irritated look on his face.

Ron laughed at the nickname 'Harold'.

Within ten minutes, Ireland had scored twice more, bringing their lead to thirty-zero and causing a thunderous tide of roars and applause from the green-clad supporters.

The match soon became not only faster, but more brutal. Volkov and Vulchanov, the Bulgarian Beaters, were whacking the Bludgers as fiercely as possible at the Irish Chasers, and were starting to prevent them from using some of their best moves — twice they were forced to scatter, and then, finally, Ivanova managed to break through their ranks, dodge the Keeper, Ryan, and score Bulgaria's first goal.

"Dimitrov! Levski! Dimitrov! Ivanova — oh I say!" roared Bagman, as Bulgaria were now back in possession.

One hundred thousand wizards gasped as the two Seekers, Krum and Lynch, plummeted through the center of the Chasers, so fast that it looked as though they had just jumped from airplanes without parachutes.

"Krum! That's their only good player!" Maddie yelled. "Break his legs! Beat a bludger at him!"

"No! Don't shit on Krum!" Ron shouted in reply.

"You need to remember where your loyalties lie, Ronald," Maddie told him, shaking the shamrock hat on top of his head.

"They're going to crash!" Hermione exclaimed.