x. End of Term Tatters

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter ten | end of term tatters

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

THANKFULLY, LUPIN WAS ONLY ill for one lesson, and Maddie had been glad to see him return after dreading the possibility of Snape teaching yet another Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson. Her spirits were lifted even higher when Lupin had told them they didn't have to do the unnecessary essay on werewolves Snape had set them. A win-win situation. Wait, was it a win-win situation? Was that the right term to use? Maddie wasn't too sure. She wasn't good at stuff like this. Anyways, moving on.

Christmas was nearing, and so were several more Hogsmeade trips, meaning Maddie, Jess and Jake had been spending however many sickles or galleons they had left on Christmas presents and winter clothes. It was the last two weeks of term when the residents at Hogwarts were greeted with a pretty, glittering frost over the grounds, causing the inside of the castle to feel even more cozy than usual and the Christmas buzz to swell. Flitwick had decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that had turned out to real, fluttering fairies (sick, Maddie knows) and everyone was discussing their plans for the holidays, all ecstatic that the long term was finally coming to an end.

Maddie was obviously returning home to the Jordan household for Christmas, as was her older brother. Jess and Jake were also going home to their families, as well, and so Jess was already arranging having them over at some point in the holidays. All three were in high spirits, excited to finally ditch the school routine for a few weeks.

But, it hadn't quite ended yet. And even if some teachers were beginning to go easy on the students, considering it was the end of a very long term, Maddie knew that there would be one teacher who wouldn't in a million years make even the tiniest details of his lessons easier for his students. Never, ever.

And so, if it weren't for the curly haired girl having the song 'Fairytale of New York' being replayed over and over in her head, she might've even forgotten that it was currently the season of Christmas, what with sitting in Snape's dreary classroom, not a decoration or glint of holiday spirit in sight.

"The boys of the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay. And the bells were ringing out for Christmas Day,"

"Maddie, I'm not being funny, but you've been singing that muggle song for, like, ten minutes now and we've done nothing," said Ron, glancing sideways at the girl.

Maddie let out a soft laugh. "My bad, Ronald. I just can't be assed - nobody's gonna concentrate, it's Christmas! I dunno what's possessed him to think we're gonna want to make a long, complicated ass potion when the holidays are round the corner,"

Ron sent a quick, dirty look Snape's way, as their teacher flicked sharply through some sort of textbook on his desk.

"Well, yeah, I think we all agree on that one," the ginger said, turning back to his partner. "But Snape won't give two shits. So we need to do something this lesson, don't we?"