Five

It had been at least thirty minutes, and my stomach was grumbling. I think the worst part of it all, was that after this, I'd be out on the streets, still hungry. There was no warm dinner and fireplace waiting for me, unfortunately.

Clay seemed to notice my restlessness, and heard my stomach growl loudly. "Are you hungry?" He asked.

"A little," I admitted.

"Did you eat lunch?"

"Uh, no, I thought I'd eat something in our foods class, but our cake burned," I laughed awkwardly.

Clay dug around in his bag, and brought out a Mars bar. "Here, have this."

I blinked. Why was he...

"It's fine, you can have it," I told him. "It's yours."

"I don't want it, and I like Kit Kats better anyways." He grabbed my wrist with his other hand, and brought my hand up, placing the bar in it.

When he pulled away, his eyes lingered a little on my skinny wrist. I pulled my hoodie sleeve down, a little uncomfortable. I guess I didn't have a choice, so I nodded.

"Thanks," I said, tearing the wrapper off. I bit into the bar, and closed my eyes. Mmm, it was amazing. The caramel and milk chocolate were perfect together. I can't remember the last time I had a chocolate bar, to be honest.

"What's your favourite chocolate bar?" He asked me, as I finished eating.

"Probably Mars bars, now that I just ate one," I replied, putting the wrapper away. "Thanks, again."

His eyes brightened. "My mom just bought a huge box of them from Costco, I'll bring you one tomorrow."

I looked up. "Oh, no, you don't have to. I'd fe-"

"I'll bring you one," he stated firmly. I smiled sheepishly, nodding.

"Okay." I don't know why he was being so generous, but I suspected it had something to do with my skinniness. Nobody had ever really noticed before, and so I was a little unused to his perceptiveness.

He was still staring at me as I put away the math homework I'd finished. I raised an eyebrow.

"What is it?"

"You have chocolate on your mouth," he said, reached over with his hand. I froze as his thumb travelled across the corner of my mouth, wiping it away.

Immediately, I felt my cheeks get red. "Uh, t-thanks," I stammered. He seemed amused at my nervousness, and I cursed at myself for being so awkward.

Cheeks red, I fiddled with the hem of my hoodie sleeve. Why was I like this?