Thirteen

I groaned, trying to wash off the barbecue sauce on my shirt. We'd been making chicken wings, and Nick had gotten into a fight with Alex, making a huge mess again. They had practice again, and Clay and I got in trouble, and now we had detention.

Clay saw me washing the sauce off vigorously, and looked confused. "Just throw it into the washing machine later, it'll come out."

I searched my brain for an excuse. "Our washer's, uh, broken."

"Oh. Wanna use mine?"

I looked at him. "Like, at your house?"

"Yeah, sure. Hey, why don't you sleep over? My parents won't mind."

Usually I would've turned him down, but I'd been sleeping out for two nights. I needed a shower, even though I'd changed clothes a couple times.

"Okay," I agreed. "Thanks."

The teacher left us in the room, saying the same thing about the desks and homework. Clay noticed, though, that he didn't lock the door on his way out.

"Ooh, let's go," he said, standing up. "The door's unlocked."

"We'll get in more trouble if we leave," I told him, staying in my seat.

"Not if we get back before the teacher does," he said. "Come on, we have an hour, and I had something to show you, remember?"

I did remember, and reluctantly let him drag me out of the classroom. He brought his bag, but said for me to leave mine, in case the teacher got back. Then I could say I needed the washroom.

We ran out into the parking lot, and got into Clay's car. "This'll be quick, and 100% worth it," he told me, as we left the parking lot. We drove for about ten minutes, stopping at a large flower garden. It was a community garden, and at this time of year, a lot of the flowers were blooming.

"I've seen this before," I said, confused. "What's so special about it?"

"Remember when I said my dad has red and green colourblindness?" He said.

"Uh, yeah?"

"Well, he got the glasses to be able to see colours a while ago, and still had them. Soo...."

He pulled a pair of glasses out of his bag, and my eyes widened.

"Oh my god, you didn't."

"I did," he grinned, and handed them to me. I took them, jaw dropping.

"Try them on," Clay urged. They get better the longer you wear them, so hurry up."

I put them on slowly, eyes closed. Clay grabbed my shoulders reassuringly.

I opened my eyes.