Nine

"What? Nothing is going on," I replied, blushing. "You're being dumb."

"Oh come on, I saw the way you guys acted. You ate his fries, and you didn't even complain! Not to mention the candy bars."

"He's just stubborn, so I didn't argue with it," I muttered. "And the candy bar was because he did me a favour yesterday."

"He likes you," Bad told me, matter-of-factly. I scoffed.

"How would you know?"

"When you were in the bathroom," he explained. "Clay asked me if you were single."

I froze. "He what?"

"I probably shouldn't tell you," he said right after, and continued anyways. "But he stared at you as you walked away, too."

I blushed even harder now. What the heck? "Did he ask anything else?"

Bad turned to me, grinning. "You like him too, 100%."

I hit his arm. "No, I don't. Answer the question."

Bad chuckled, but then turned serious. "Actually, he asked me why you never eat. I just told him you were irresponsible and always forgot your wallet."

Bad glanced at me. "Did something happen during detention? Why did he ask that?"

"He's just overly curious about everything," I mumbled. "Nothing happened."

Bad seemed unconvinced, but didn't push it. He dropped me off at the bakery, and smiled sympathetically.

"If you need anything, you can call me, okay?"

"Yeah, I know," I told him. "You're more like a mom every day."

He shook his head, driving off. I turned around, into the bakery, to say hi.

Sarah was at the counter, and smiled as I came in. "Hi! Louise isn't here at the moment, did you need anything?"

"Oh, I'm fine, just came to say hi," I said nervously. "Thanks, though."

She opened her mouth to say something, and hesitated. Then she breathed in, and blurted out, "Would you want to get coffee with me after I get off work? In about an hour."

She stood there, fidgeting, and I felt bad. I couldn't say no, her and Louise were always helping me out.

"Uh, sure. I'll wait here," I told her, sitting down at one of the tables. She squealed happily, and went to the back, maybe to text her friends or something.

Now I felt even more bad, knowing that I was probably leading her on. I was open to the idea of getting to know her more, but at the same time, I didn't want to hurt her.

I scrolled through my phone, and noticed a text from Clay, from about five minutes ago.

I opened the conversation.

Clay: are you free after school tomorrow?