Chapter 10

Diana's POV

I walked into the shitty Tulsa High with Ponyboy and Johnny as usual. This day could have gotten so much better, though, considering everything that was on my mind, and the people around me.

The morning classes were fine. That is - until I got to P.E.

Today, we had Co - Ed, so we had gym with the boys. I changed into my gym clothes as I normally would. This week we were playing basketball. They split us up into 3 teams, as in 2 would play and 3rd would play the winner in the next game.

I was playing the first game. Ponyboy was on the waiting team, and I could swear he was watching my every step. It was screwing up my focus. With only 20 seconds left, and the other team winning, I had to try and win it for my team.

The ball was passed to me, and I dribbled it to the net. Taking a shot, I missed. Then the buzzer rang, signaling we lost the game. No big fucking deal, since it was bound to happen, but apparently James' new girlfriend felt differently.

"Wow, we could have won that, you screw up everything, don't you? Your such a mistake." She snapped.

Just the sight of her kicked my emotions into overdrive. But what she said made everything ten times worse. It reminded me back to the times when I was abused, when I was hated for every little thing I did. Her face turned into my mother's. I could feel my heart racing, and as she kept complaining, I knew what was coming.

I snapped like a rubber band being stretched to its maximum distance. My PTSD kicked in, and I lunged at her, kicking her square in the face.

(For anyone unaware, PTSD stands for 'Post Traumatic Stress Disorder', and its a mental health condition that is triggered by a terrifying event or things like it. You can have flashbacks, and like Diana, the words of the girl flashed her back to her abusing childhood, which then caused her to overreact in defense.)

She stumbled backwards and fell to the floor. The crack I heard when I kicked her made me shutter, and as the blood ran down her face I never felt more confused.

My breathing intensified. People were on the ground trying to help her out, while Johnny and Pony, terrified, held me back from hurting her. Though, I would never have even thought of hurting her anymore. Even if what she did was utterly wrong, I know I should never have done what I just did. But with my lack of control, there was nothing I could have done to stop myself, since I was always trained to defend myself.

"What the hell?" She cussed, holding her bloody nose. "Look what you did to me!"

Another flashback shot through my mind, as my mother cussed at me.
"Look what you did to me!" She pointed to her used-to-be perfect stomach, which I ruined with my birth.

The tears burned behind my eyes, as my condition took control of me once again. All the memories swarmed like a crowd of bees, buzzing in my ears, clouding my brain, and stinging my heart. I couldn't take it anymore.

Yanking my arms away from 2 strong boys, I grabbed my things, not saying a word as the tears trailed down my cheeks.

I ran out the door as fast as I could, and as I did when I was a child, kept going without looking back, not caring where I was going.

"Tulsa is going to be the death of me"
The phrase played over and over in my head.

I dropped down in the grass, watching the clouds go by, trying to clear the thoughts out of my mind.

Hours passed by, and the day turned to night that I sat there in emotionless hell.

Then, a familiar rumble of a mustang echoed in my ears as it parked up next to me.