Chapter 5

Diana's POV

The ride home was silent. Johnny and Soda had nothing to say, and Ponyboy was just staring out the window, avoiding me.

What the hell has gotten into him?

"So, Diana, how was your first day at school?" Darry looked back for a split second.

"She got detention, Darry, can you believe it?" Ponyboy kept his eyes out the window.

"Detention?" Darry's voice was stern. "What did you do?"

"Well," I spoke, getting Ponyboy back, "One of Ponyboy's friends was insulting me, calling me ugly and what not. My seat partner was nice enough to compliment me and talk about it while Ponyboy just sat there, letting me take the hits. The teacher caught us talking twice, so he sent us to detention, where we talked some more. He didn't even come to my defense when the teacher asked what was up. I found out that James is a really nice guy."

"Yeah, I could tell you felt that way when you were all over him!" Ponyboy's eyes met mine, burning with anger.

"I'm sorry that he saved my brothers life, and I hugged him to show him how thankful I was!"

Darry stopped the truck at the house and attempted to stop us, but then fire was already lit, and there was no extinguishing it.

"I can't believe he could stand getting that close to you. God knows I can't. Maybe Cherry was right about you!"

That hit me like bullets. Every word hitting me in the heart.

I could tell he had some regret when the tears escaped my eyes.

"How could you say that Ponyboy?!" I cried.

Turning my heels, I ran the opposite direction.

I heard several calls behind me telling me to come back. No. I'm not coming back now. You armed the bomb and it has yet to blow up.

I knew where I wanted to go. To the place I knew better than anyone else. Where I first ran away.

Not looking up, I ran right into someone walking down the street.

"I'm...- Sorry..." I managed to say in between breaths.

"Diana? Are you okay?" I could recognize that warm voice anywhere.

James helped me up and tried to get me to stop crying.

"Oh yeah! I'm just fine. It's not like I was just hurt and I'm crying out of sheer emotional pain."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He held my head up. "C'mon. I'll take you to my house and you can calm down for a little."

"Thanks James."

He sat me down on the couch and brought me some hot chocolate.

I finished it pretty quickly because of how thirsty I was.

"Doesn't that burn your mouth?" He asked.

"I'm made of fire, darling. Nothing burns me. Only I burn things." I said with no emotion.

He chuckled. "Well something got to you. What happened?"

"It's Ponyboy. Ever since I stepped foot in biology he's been acting strangely." I was preparing to vent.

"Yeah, I know the guy. Were not friends, but I can tell he's been different lately." He replied.

"I just don't understand James, what the hell did I do wrong? I just came back from California yesterday, and he acted like I was some sort of circus clown around him. He always stuttered, he never acted like things were normal. In biology, he gave me stern looks and didn't talk to me. The redhead was his friend, and he didn't even help me when they insulted my beautifulness. He didn't let me talk to you in detention, and in the car he didn't even look at me. He just lit a fire between us that he couldn't control. I became the fire. I used his words against him. He couldn't win. So what did he do, James? He threw a bucket of water on me. He insulted me far worse than Cherry. He made me feel worthless. What can fire do when there's enough water to destroy it? It can only run. Spread as far as it can. And I apologize, I brought the fire into your house and took up your time you could have used for something else. I'm just gonna go."