Chapter 11

Diana's POV

The car ride wasn't that long, considering we didn't live that far apart. When I reached the house, I thanked him with an appreciative smile and got out.

"Hope to see you soon." He smiled before driving off.

If you ever see me in this town again, I thought.

I can't help but think about Ponyboy. How he would feel if I left. I would surely miss him myself. But we are finally coming together, and I don't want to ruin it. He spent a lot of his childhood mourning over me. I could never put him through that all again.

I didn't know what to think when I prepared to enter the house. Are they going to be angry? Upset? Disappointed? Should I just avoid talking to them? I Honesty I didn't want to be in Tulsa let alone in this house.

I opened the door slowly, my head down so I wouldn't talk to them.

I blocked out Darry's "Where the hell have you been?" Only to hear a voice I haven't heard in a long time.

"Diana?" I cocked my head up.

My heartbeat came to a halt. Sitting at the kitchen table was the person I needed most at the moment. The person who knows the song in my heart and can sing it back to me even when I've forgotten the words.

Speechless, I ran into her arms and laid my head on her shoulder. I don't know why for sure, but I just started sobbing. Maybe because I missed her and worried so much about her? Maybe because I wanted to go back to her so bad and she was finally here? Because of all the emotions running through my mind? Because of the pain I was feeling?

She rubbed my back and comforted me, knowing how upset I was. It's like we were connected. She always knew when I was upset, distraught, angry, overwhelmed, and even when I was lying. Sometimes, though, it was practically impossible for me to get away with lying.

She released me when I finally stopped, which was probably like a half hour later. Everyone was watching us, and I met eyes with Ponyboy, who gave a half crooked smile, and I could just tell something was bothering him.

"When did you get here?" I asked, overwhelmed with emotions.

"The hurricane," she replied, "Haven't you heard?"

I nodded sorrowfully. I would have been back home if it wasn't for that storm.

"Ironically, it's named Diana." She added.

It couldn't be more true. I was practically a storm right now. All these emotions bundled up with the potential to wreak havoc and cause disaster. I need to be tamed before I wind up hurting everyone around me. I need closure.

"Well, I heard of it before it became potentially dangerous. I boarded the house as best as I could and took the last plane before they all got cancelled. I had to come down and see you, so I'm staying in the same hotel as I did the first time I saw you. Nothing could explain how worried I was. I didn't know if you were going to be here, or even alive. You could have flown to China by now."

"I wouldn't have done that to you." I said. "Or even these guys."

"You can never be sure. I really don't like you being here. That's why I'm planning on taking you home when this storm subsides."

The room fell silent. I was just as shocked.

"Why?" I asked, confused at my own words. "I'm perfectly fine here."

I knew it was a lie. Everything is horrible here. I don't know what impulse made me say that. I hope it didn't hurt her feelings, because I love being with her, but I just can't leave these guys behind. They're like a second family. Even though I absolutely hate Tulsa, I just can't leave.