~Chapter 33~

ANNABEL FLEMING

I am stupid.

I don't know what part of following Harry my exhausted mind thought would be a good idea, but I am only feet behind him and I have almost been caught by him at least three times.

He keeps looking around at his surroundings with apprehensive glances all around every ten seconds. He is headed somewhere that he isn't supposed to be going or he doesn't want anyone to know where he is going. There is no one around other than me on this empty path.

Once we get to the busier part of the island, it becomes much easier for me to hide from Harry. He begins to walk in fast strides once more people are around though, so it is hard for me to keep up. His green jacket, swaying in the wind as he strides through the island.

Several people scatter away from Harry since they are probably terrified by him and he also has a look on his face of utter seriousness which is an extremely scary look on the face of Harry. Most of the time he usually does have a look of seriousness, but this look scares me even more than usual. There is more anger hidden behind it than usual and that much anger is a dangerous amount for someone like Harry.

As I am walking in strides to try my best not to lose Harry, I am just praying that my feet don't fail me before I find out where it is that he is going. Maybe I shouldn't follow him to his destination, maybe I should turn around and go back to the cabin right now. But my stubbornness and my curious mind tell me to keep following him and so I do.

Harry suddenly takes a sharp left and then we are suddenly on the part of the island with shops lined up on each side of the road, parallel to each other. He walks at a steadfast pace, which makes me believe that he is getting closer to his destination.

I am out of breath by the time Harry stops walking and places his hand on one of the store's handles. I am really out of shape and that worries me because I used to be extremely healthy. I used to run at least once every week to make sure I stayed active. Now that I have been here, I haven't been eating right, if I did eat anything at all. And I haven't had time to exercise unless it was running from Harry.

Once he walks into the store, I immediately speed up and stand next to the window, looking into the building. I recognize this place. It is the bakery we went into when I first came to Eroda. I remember getting pizza and cinnamon rolls with Harry and then going to a hill on the top of the island to eat.

It is hard to see through the open binds that hang over the window, but I can see him walking in and waiting for someone to notice that he is in there.

After a few short moments, a familiar woman with her hair in space buns comes out of the back room. She is the same woman from the day that Harry and I went in there. I think her name was Barbara. Once she sees that it is Harry in the store, her face lights up and she walks out from the counter.

Harry takes the black bag off of his shoulder and I am taken back in confusion and surprise when he takes a long stride forward and then wraps his long arms around her neck in a tight hug. Barbara rubs one of her hands up and down his back in a comforting motion as she hugs him back. His eyes are squinted shut and she is saying something to him, but I can't make out what the words are that are coming off of her lips.

When I look back at Harry, his face is now resting on her shoulder and turned to the side so that I can see it now. A small quiet gasp leaves my mouth when I see a single tear streaming down his right cheek.

Is he crying?

I can't move, I can't stop looking at the two of them hugging and Harry in the most vulnerable state that I have ever witnessed him in. I know I should walk away, but I physically can't pull my eyes away. He is crying. He is full out crying, actual tears, onto this woman's shoulder and I am just standing here on the other side of the window, hidden behind the blinds, staring at him.