recovery and cameras

NOT MY FANART: credits go to 'upthehillart' on instagram and tumblr, they're super talented, go check them out!

[ fyi to all my beautiful readers, this is sort of just a filler chapter before more exciting things start happening; next chapter will be new years, valentine's day and other fun things ]

************

Ginny sat alone in her and Harry's bed, the night air cold and chilled without him there to warm her up. She was staring at her hands in the dim light, waiting for him to come back from his meeting with Kingsley. She'd come home from the Burrow about an hour ago, and Harry sent a letter apologizing for taking long and saying he'd be home by tomorrow in case he had to stay at the Ministry. It was two in the morning and Ginny couldn't fall asleep, the images of her brother lifeless on the floor and Harry unconscious and tied up in that chair flashing in her mind. It was hard to forget, and Ginny squeezed her eyes shut in hope the memories would go away.

She knew it'd be easier if Harry was there, he'd understand, he has PTSD, he's dealt with the nightmares, flashbacks and everything since he was just fourteen. He could help her. He could relate and empathize with her. But Harry wasn't there at the moment, and Ginny felt more alone than she ever had before.

She curled up in herself with the sheets all the way up to her chin, tears leaking out of the sides of her eyes. She felt humiliated, even though she was alone and no one could see her, that she couldn't go a night without Harry by her side. It wasn't all because of that, she'd done it before and was fine, it was just because it was right after the Hogsmeade attack, and she thought he'd died again a mere two days ago.

It wasn't his fault, but she just wished he was there with her. She'd already spent four hours just trying to go to bed, and she considered going home and sleeping at the Burrow. She quickly brushed that train of thought out of her mind, her mother already thought she wasn't mature enough to live away from home, and if she went back home crying that she couldn't sleep, her mum certainly wouldn't let her go back every night. Ginny reckoned she was alright with seeing her mum about five times a week, that was enough, Ginny felt she deserved a break from everyone every once and a while. Everyone does.

It was almost sunrise when Ginny heard a crack in the kitchen, along with a long sigh of relief mixed with exhaustion. She opened her eyes quickly, though she really hadn't slept at all and waited. She curled up tighter and tried to slow her breathing so Harry wouldn't know she hadn't slept a wink. She didn't want him to feel guilty or anything.

The door creaked open, and she slowly cracked an eyelid open and saw Harry tip-toe quietly into the bedroom. He looked quite drained, he hadn't really had time to rest after the attack, he'd just greeted everyone at Mungo's, talked a bit and then apparated off to the Ministry with rushed goodbyes.

He peeled off his clothing so he was in just his boxers and put his shoes into the closet carefully so he wouldn't wake Ginny. He walked into the bathroom and Ginny could hear him showering. She waited patiently so that when he was finished, she could sleep peacefully knowing he was alright, and his arms would be wrapped around her.

Finally, he crawled into bed, smelling faintly of minty toothpaste and his signature scent, and put an arm around Ginny's waist, snuggling into his girlfriend. Almost instinctively, she grabbed his arm and pulled it closer to her.

"I'm sorry," He whispered, "I didn't mean to wake you."

Ginny smiled, pulling his closer and turning around, glad he was there. "Don't worry about it," She gave him a soft kiss and hugged him, breathing in his comforting scent and cologne.

"So," She breathed, wrapping an arm around his neck, touching her forehead to his. "What's happened?"

"We don't have to talk about that right now," Harry whispered, wiping away a stray tear that had escaped Ginny's eye. She flushed.