ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ʟᴜᴄᴋʏ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀ ɢɪʀʟ

"CLAY PASS!" i call out.

"will you wait!" clay yells from the other side of the gym. i watch him run across the floor, trying to get the run away volleyball.

i tighten my ponytail. tapping my leg, anxiously, with my fingers. the yells of other students fill the gym.

i watch as clay comes running towards the net. "ready?" he huffs out. i nod my head. bending my knees, getting ready to hit the ball, that clay'll serve.

he bends over to catch his breath, before sending the ball over the net. except, it doesn't reach me. instead it hits someone in the back of the head.

"owh." a couple of students wince, as they watch the guy slowly turn towards us.

clay jogs over to me. watching every movement of the guy, who he slammed in the head with the volleyball.

"shit." clay whispers.

the guy he whacked in the head, is no other than ian walsh. everyone was terrified of him. you get in his way, he'll push you down. so in other words, he's a complete dick.

ian makes his way over to us. taking that we are the only ones, who still dare to look at ian. i think he figured out that it was one of us.

"hide me." clay throws me in front of him, hiding behind my figure. which is completely pointless, considering that's i'm 5'7, and he's 6'2.

"he's like 5'5, just sock him." i state, whilst stepping aside.

"clay! it was you, wasn't it?" the students laughter, and chattering died down. all attention was now on us. me, clay, and ian.

clay shuffle up to him, beginning to speak. but i cut in before he could say anything. "it was me." i step closer to ian. bitting my cheek to hold back my nerves. "i threw it."

"you did it, aoife?"

i cringe at how he pronounces my name. no matter how many times i tell people that it's said as 'ee-fa.' they always seem to butcher it. i give up correcting people, but it always gets to me.

"i did." i swiftly shake my head. i take a glance over at clay. he is looking down at his feet, playing with his fingers.

"you're lucky you're a girl." he scoffs. "or i would've slammed you!" he throws his fist in the palm of his hand. this guy is a complete idiot, and people are terrified of him? "don't do it again." he tosses me back the ball.

he stomps away. students attentions are drawn back to what they were doing before. afraid that if they look him in the eyes, they turn to stone.

clays gaze is still confronting the floor. i hit his shoulder with mine. "you're welcome."

"you don't always have to protect me." he mumbles, whilst snatching the volleyball out of my hands.

"i'm older than you, of course i do."

he frowns at me. taking his spot back, on the other side of the net. i steady my position again. waiting for clay to serve.

"that's you, aoife!" violet calls to me.

i run up. meeting the rubber ball, with my arms. sending it over to our setter. she swiftly sets it up, allowing violet to send it over the net.

we watch the ball makes it's way to the other side. the whole gym went silent. we need one more point to win, and we'll move on to states. but if it goes out, they get the point.

the ball seems to move in slowmo. slowly hitting the ground. my attention turns to the ref. he waves his hand in the opposite direction. signaling that it was our win.

i place my hands on my head. breathing heavily with a smile planted on my face. we did it, we're going to states.

"we did it." violet squeals, devouring me in a hug. i let off an awkward giggle, patting her on the back.

"over here girls!" my coach signal us over to our bench. many of my teammates, including me, go straight to our water jugs. "congratulations on making it to states." some of us cheers, others try catching their breathes.

"our work isn't over yet. meet at our gym tomorrow, at 5." we all groan.

"gives us a break, coach." claire, our striker, complains. i envy her, to be able to talk back to coach. we all are terrified of him, including me. he's a complete dick.

"fine." he sighs in defeat. "one day." coach shakes his pointer finger at us. we all nod our heads in understanding. holding back the excitement that we finally have a day off.

i head off to my car. grabbing my purse, and my gym bag in the locker room. saying farewell to my teammates. thanking the other team, for we were at their campus.

i shield my eyes whilst existing the building, as the hot florida weather surrounds me. i jump in my car, rolling all my windows down. i toss my bags in the backseat. turning back around, my eyes meeting with my old high school.

"what a shit hole." i whisper to myself, before driving off.

***

first chapter *lip bites*

iloveyou
kisses and hugs <3

***