ʀᴜɴɴɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀɪɴ

"WHAT THE HELL BEA?" clay whisper- shouts at me. i'm standing on his porch, dripping in the rain. "it's two in the morning?"

"yet you're up." i shiver.

he grabs my arm, dragging me inside. he leads me to his room. throwing a towel at me. "what happen.?" he throws himself on his bed.

"my mom and i got in a fight." i ruffle my hair with the towel.

"shit." his expression turns soft. "does she know you are here?"

"i stormed off trying to prove my point." i sniff.

"are you not feeling well bea." he places his hand on my forehead.

"i just ran from my house to yours in the rain, i don't think i'm sick." i sarcastically say.

he rolls his eyes. "it's impossible to care for you, bea."

i let of a loud sneeze. "god bea, you not feeling well?" clay asks, turning into my college campus.

i look over to clay. my eyes feeling heavy. "seasonal cold." i state.

"your raspy voice is so adorable."

"you know what would be adorable? if i sneezed on you." i unbuckle my seatbelt, while clay parks.

he scoffs before changing the conversation. "do you think you can still play?" his face turns all concern. it's so cute how much he cares about me.

"i'm sure i'll be okay."

"okay, i believe you." he pushes back a lose strand of hair behind my ear. "good luck, bea."

i smile, while leaning in stealing a quick kiss from him. "see you later, clay." i scurry out of his car. grabbing my gym bag from his trunk. "violet can take me to the other campus."

he gives me a nod, before waving goodbye. i watch as he drives away.

"i'm assuming that's the old friend?" violets voice bounces off the brick walls. i answer her question with a simple nod.

*
"time out!" my coach yells from the sideline. the ref blows the whistle, allowing us to all meet at our bench.

it's 20-22. us two points off. we lost the first set, so we need to win this set to be able to tie. "girls what is going on?" no one answers. my coach lets out a frustrated sigh, and continues to talk.

i look around at the people watching. one person stands out to me the most. my mother.

my mother seem to notice me. she puts on a bright smile, and mouths something. couldn't quite see it, but just the fact that's she's here. even though what happen, seems to put a bright smile on my face, too.

my coachs voice broke me out of my stare. "make sure to work as a team." a variety of 'yes'' are heard.

the ref blows his whistle once again. we all make our way back to the court.

*

we lost. 22-25. three points away.

the lost seem to put everyone in a mood. the only person who seem to be smiling, is violet. which doesn't surprise me.

"good job out there aoife." violet pulls me in a hug. "don't be hard on yourself."

"thanks vie." i hug her back.

"ready to go home?" she pulls herself out of the hug.

i see my mother figure out of the corner of my eye. "actually," i look over to my mom. she gives me a little wave. "my mom is here."

violet looks the direction my gaze is turn to. "no problem." she hugs me once more, before walking off.

i walk up to my mother. "hi mom." i whisper.

"you did great out there aoife bea." she brings me into a hug. "i'm proud of you."

i hug her back. biting my lip, trying to hold back the tears. "thank you mom."

"i'm sorry, aoife."

the tears seem to have no mercy. "i'm sorry, too." i say through a heavy breath. "i didn't mean what i said."

"i know." her voice quivers as she speaks. "i love you aoife."

"i love you, too, mom."

***

just in case no one has told you,
i'm proud of you! <3 you're amazing, and talent, don't let anyone else tell you you're not!

iloveyou
kisses and hugs <3

***