ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ ᴛʀᴀᴅɪᴛɪᴏɴ

"OH AREN'T YOU JUST SUCH A DREAM." i sarcastically remark, as clay hands me a necklace made of noddles.

"happy birthday!" he brings me in for a hug.

"it's 12am, and you wake me up with this?" i wave the string with noodles around. i rub my eyes, trying to wake myself up a bit.

"i think it's a win-win, the first thing you wake up to is me, and my necklace." clay gleams a smile.

i squint at his bright smile. "wouldn't call that a win-win." i groan, whilst laying my head back on my pillow. he throws his legs under my blanket, practically ripping it off me. "clay!" i whisper-shout trying not to wake up my parents.

he perks up at the call of his name. "what? trying to sleep here."

i roll my eyes out of frustration. pushing him off the bed. "close the window if you want to come back on."

clay whacks me with a pillow, before making his way to close my window. he nuzzles his way back in my bed, laying down right next to me. he throws his arm over me. "you're doing this on purpose." i grunt, shoving his arm off of me.

"happy 18th aoife. glad i could spend it with you." he whispers.

a vibration from my pants pocket, interrupts me blowing out my candles. i'm spending my birthday alone, as usual. my parents were always busy doing work stuff, lawyer stuff.

all i had was clay. (sixteen candle cliche) every year he would give me something he made himself. i remember the noodle necklace, he gave me for my 18th birthday.

i pull out my phone, answering the call. "how'd i know you would you up at this hour?" clays voice muffles through the phone.

"12 am, practically tradition." i watch the candle wax slowly dip onto my cake. "shit."

"what's wrong?"

"the candle wax is melting on my cake." i try stopping it with my finger, thinking that it would stop it.

"wait don't blow them out yet" before i can respond, he hangs up. i lay my phone down on the table. obeying his request, i wait to blow out the candles. i tap my fingertips, anxiously, hoping the wax doesn't infect the cake.

my phone starts to vibrate, once again. i pick up the call, greeted with a smiling clay. he is wearing a headset with his hair place messily.

i lean him against a wine bottle. he takes a deep breath in, before singing happy birthday. i giggle at his attempt to sing. "make a wish, bea!"

i close my eyes, clasping my hands together. taking a minute to make a wish. opening my eyes, i blow out the candles.

"what you wish for?"

"if i tell you it wouldn't come true." i start to remove the candle from my cake.

clay scoffs, "what are you in middle school?"

i let out a breathly laugh. "thanks for spending my birthday with me."

"i would never miss it."

"well, you missed it for the last three years."

"those don't count." clay claims, as he rips his headset off. "i'm glad i was able to spend it with you."

***

iloveyou
kisses and hugs <3

***