ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʀᴜsʜ *ᴊᴀᴢᴢ ғɪɴɢᴇʀs*

"PLEASE CAN WE BE DONE?" clay complains as he tosses the volleyball to me.

"i have tryouts soon, dream." i run up to serve. "they're my only ticket into college. i'm not all brainy like you."

he grunts as he smacks the ball back to me, "fine." he mumbles.

"alright team." my coach claps his hands together. "practice. grab a partner and start passin'!" my coach is the definition of florida man. if it wasn't for him coaching volleyball, i'm pretty sure he would be out hunting alligators right now.

"aoife mine?" violet calls out to me. i give her a fake smile, whilst walking over to her.

violet hangs around me like i'm the queen of england. like i will give her gold or something. most people would say she's just trying to be my friend, but that's just bullshit.

"happy late birthday, by the way." she wishes as she sets the ball over to me.

i hit it back to her, "thank you."

i'm surprised anyone knew when my birthday was. every time we would win a game, and coach says 'dinner on me.' i would never go. i never hung out with my team. which i know, it's not good, but i just never really thought to.

"so what did you do?"

"hang out with my cat, called an old friend."

"from high school?"

"yeah, back in the old high."

"i bet that was exciting." violet pauses the passing, with catching the ball.

why she would do that? i don't know, cause if coach sees, we are running extra laps.

i start tapping my leg, anxiously. "yeah, had a little crush on him." i chuckle nervously, watching every movement of coach.

she gasp, "no way." she resume the passing. "a crush?"

"it wasn't a big deal." i shake off the thought of high school, and haven't a tiny crush on clay. i hated it even then.

"i bet it's coming back now." she catches the ball once again. violet has some confidence in her, if she doesn't think coach will make us run.

"what is?"

"the crush." she does little jazz fingers.

"oh no. it was a long time ago." and it's true, it was a long time ago. the past is in the past.

she scoffs whilst throwing the ball up, ready to set.

"aoife and violet! laps!" my coach screams from the benches. everyone's attention was brought to us.

i let out a heavy sigh before heading off to lap the court. violet was right behind me. "sorry." she says, trying to talk and run.

i shurg my shoulders, trying not to say anything to waste my breath. wasting air wasn't a problem for violet, as she runs with me, talking my ear off.

some would say she's just trying to be friends, but i know it's cause no one else had the air to talk to her. including me.

***

iloveyou
kisses and hugs <3

***