Chapter 7:

I stare at the card. Maybe I'm imagining it? I reread it again.

All of Enchantasia!

Every marriage eligible lady is invited to Prince Jackson's Moonlight Masquerade where he will choose a bride. The ball will start on Friday, 8 PM. Please dress fancy and wear a mask as this is a Masquerade ball. Show your invitation and you will be let in. You do not have to be royalty or noble to attend.

Sincerely,

The Royal Court

Nope. I read it right. Jax is getting married! Screams a part of my mind. In shock, I let the invitation fall onto the floor. Jax is getting married! I mean I guess I knew he'd get married eventually, since he is a prince, but... I mean he's getting married! Jax! Married! This is really hard to take in. I collapse into a chair. "Oh! Gilly! You're home!" My mother exclaims. "Hey Gilly!!!" Exclaim Trixie and the twins exclaim. Felix looks up from his book and offers me a small smile and a wave and then he is gone again.

"Hey guys. So I'm taking a small break from being a police chief." I tell them smiling. "That's wonderful Gilly! I know being a police chief is really hard." Mother says. I turn to her. "Mother. Have you seen this?" I hand her the card and mother opens it. Once she's read it, her blue eyes light up. "Oh how wonderful! It says that your friend Prince Jax is getting married!" she exclaims. "Yeah...wonderful..." I mutter under my breath. Trixie looks at me, curious. "Who's he getting married to?" She asks.

Felix comes up behind us. "Wait, I'll read it to you," he says. "All of Enchantasia! Every marriage eligible lady is invited to Prince Jackson's Moonlight Masquerade where he will choose a bride. The ball will start on Friday, 8 PM. Please dress fancy and wear a mask as this is a Masquerade Ball. Show your invitation and you will be let in. You do not have to be royalty or noble to attend. Sincerely, The Royal Court" he says. "Gilly got an invitation to go to Jax's ball too?" Anna asks. "Anna!" Han and Hamish run to her. Anna laughs.

Mother looks up and gives Anna a bright smile and Trixie laughs at the twins. Felix is still looking at the card. "Ya, here" Felix says, handing the card to Anna. Anna quickly reads the card and smiles. She looks up at me. "You should go Gilly," she says. I turn to her. "What?! Me?! Why?! This is a ball where girls will be competing for Jax's hand in marriage!" I exclaim. I hear a whistle and mother gets up. "I'm sorry, I'll be right back. I forgot I put the tea on." She says and goes into the kitchen. "Oh come on Gilly! That's exactly why I want you to go! You like him!" Anna exclaims.

"Who said?" I exclaim. Anna rolled her eyes and said, "This denial is just proof. After I reformed I could see with my own two eyes how much you two liked each other. It was really weird but I could tell you two loved each other. And you still like him Gilly. Please don't be Little Miss 'I'm so Oblivious'. You love him" she says. My heart beats painfully. Of course not! I don't like Jax...do I?All those times that I had to tell myself not to think about Jax while on the job. Was that...could I... "Gilly. You like him. And I think he likes you too. So you need to go to that ball and get your prince!" Felix exclaims.

Trixie cheers and Han and Hamish make a face. "We're not interested in love but Jax is really amazing! So if he's gonna be our brother in law, we'll be fine!" They exclaim. I smile at them and then once I comprehend what they said, I blush. "And now you're blushing. You still think you don't like him?" Anna asks with a smirk on her face. "Well... I just... I mean..." I stammer. When have I ever stammered? My heart beats harder in my chest. Oh my goblins...when did I even start... liking him? A voice asks in my head.

"I see you're finally getting it," Anna says knowingly. I nod. Then a thought occurs to me. "Wait...how did you know and I don't?" I ask. Anna just smiles at me. "I am very smart and observant." She says. I laugh. So I have a crush on my best friend. Wow. Just another plot twist in my already crazy day. And then my sister becomes serious. "Gilly, you need to go to that ball. It is like the only way to be able to marry Jax."

"But there is no way I'll be able to!" I cry out. "He's a prince and I am just the cobbler's daughter who is the Police Chief." Anna sighs, "You are also his best friend who he is in love with and you are the Enchantasia heroine. Plus if Prince Charming made a servant his princess, couldn't Jax do the same?" She asks. "But...but what if...you're wrong? What if...he doesn't like me that way?" I ask hesitantly.

"Well you won't know if you don't ask him. Go to the ball. Tell him how you feel. And if he doesn't return your feelings, he doesn't deserve you. It could hurt if he said no, but if you don't tell him you'll regret it for the rest of your life." Anna says. I gotta admit, she has a pretty good point. When did my siblings grow up? But I still don't think this is a good idea. "Fine, I guess I'm going to the ball" I say and Anna jumps up and down squealing. "Yes!" Felix laughs. "I'm sure Father can make a pair of glass slippers for you." he says.

"Hey! What's all the commotion?" Mother exclaims, coming to us. My siblings quiet down. "Mother. I'm going to the ball." I say, nervously. Mother smiles. "Oh of course! To support your friend!" Trixie starts to say something but Anna glares at her. "We'll buy you a dress, Gilly. Oh and jewelry!" She exclaims. Fairy be I forgot about the dressing up part. Anna and Trixie smile at me encouragingly and Felix runs off to Father's workshop, probably to ask him to make me a pair of glass slippers.

I breathe in deeply. "Alright mother." I can do this. I am going to go to the ball then tell Jax how I feel. And no matter the price I may pay, I'm gonna do this.