Chapter 20:

"So... you're going to announce that you choose her as your bride?" Raz asks. Jax nods. "Well ya," he says. Raz smiles at him, then at me. I smile back at her. Thank the fairies Raz isn't mad at me or anything. She's on our side.

                "Let's get out of your bedroom then," Raz says. "And next time I won't be as accepting. I mean, your bedroom. In the middle of your ball. Without telling anyone. Without supervision! It's scandalous!" Raz exclaims. Jax groans and slaps his forehead. "Razzzzzzz we're adults! Plus we needed a place to talk where girls wouldn't be pouncing on me," Jax whines.

                Raz huffs. "Well that makes sense but imagine if someone else was sent to get you instead of me! That wouldn't end well," she says. Jax nods begrudgingly. "True." "He didn't tell me," I say. Jax turns to me. "What?" Raz asks. "He didn't tell me what room this was, I mean. He just gave me directions. I had to figure it out on my own," I say. Raz looks at me then at Jax and sighs dramatically.

                "Of course he did," she mutters. "So... I guess we talk to your parents and the Royal Court?" I ask. "Ya, basically. Let's go," Jax says. Me, Jax and Raz get out of the room and start to walk somewhere else.

                "Wow, this castle is so big, how do you remember where everything is?" I ask. Raz shrugs. "We don't. There are rooms I haven't explored yet," she says. "What?" I ask. Jax nods. "Same." "You don't even completely know your own home?" I ask. Jax and Raz shrug. "It's a huge castle," they say at the same time.

                I didn't think of this before. If I marry Jax, I'll live in the castle won't I? It's such a big home, and so fancy, nothing like the comfortable boot I live in with my family. What about my siblings? I'd miss them and what about mother and father? Mother doesn't even know about me and Jax being a thing now. She doesn't know I like him that way. I'm not sure about father though, he might have figured it out. It's possible. Even my siblings figured it out before me!

                Will I fit in? I'm a commoner who'll become royalty by marriage. I can't believe I just described myself as commoner. Is this how Ella felt when she became a princess? How ironic. Years ago, I hated Ella for passing up all the shoemaking orders to her fairy godmother but now I'm in the same position she was, a girl, without status, becoming royalty. She may be the only one who can understand what I'm going through the most. Wow. How ironic.

                "Here we are," Raz says. I look up. I was just mindlessly following Jax and Raz, lost in my thoughts. We're back where we started. We're at the back door of the ball. "The ball won't end for another two hours so I guess you two should go talk and have fun. After that, Jax, you need to take Gilly and announce her as your bride," Raz says.

                Jax turns to me. "Ok let's go in." He opens the door and we both step inside with Raz following us. No one pays attention to us and I see some girls looking for 'The prince' as they call him. "Where's the prince?" a redhead asks. A blond shrugs. "Who knows?" A wavy black haired girl with peach skin and blue eyes stares at the other two girls. "Girls! This is my chance to marry my prince!" the girl exclaims. Wow, she's really pretty, I think. "I know, I know Angelica, sorry but I have no idea where he is," the blond says. The redhead nods. Angelica sighs. "I need to be his princess though!" Angelica exclaims.

                "What are you looking at?" Jax asks. "Just some girls," I say. Jax looks at them. "The black haired one, called Angelica, was looking for you and called you her prince. I bet a lot of girls are looking for you right now," I say. I look at Jax. "But you are a-" the redhead starts. Jax pales. "Jax?" I ask. "Princess," Jax says, like he's completing that redhead's sentence.

                He turns to me. "Gilly, I never told you why I had this ball did I?" he asks, looking at me. "Well, didn't you just do it to ask me to be your bride even though I don't have high status?" I ask. Jax nods. "Well, yes but this ball is my last chance to choose a bride for myself. If I didn't, my father would put me in an alliance marriage," he says. My eyes widen. "Really?" I ask. "Yes Gilly. I was supposed to marry the princess of Aztadonia. If I hadn't had this ball and chose you. That, Gilly, is Princess Angelica of Aztadonia," he says. I turn and look at the raven haired girl Angelica. At the same time, she turns to me and her eyes roam to Jax. Her blue eyes brighten. I'm lost in thought. 

                This girl, Princess Angelica could have married Jax. All these girls came here to try and win Jax's heart but Angelica was a princess and if the Royal Court and the kind and queen disapproved of me and decided to not go by their word they could make Jax marry Angelica. Angelica's eyes go to me and they narrow. She makes a step forward towards Jax. Princess Angelica is my true competition.