Chapter 13:

Jax's P.O.V

                                                    A week later...

                The castle is all hustle and bustle. There are streamers, flowers and servants bringing in the food that the cooks made. "Prince Jackson!" a girl with red hair calls. She's probably a servant. I try to get away from her, pretending I didn't hear. "Prince Jackson!" She calls again. So close... "Prince Jackson!" She appears right in front of me. "Uh, Miss..." I stop, not knowing her name. The servant laughs. "It's Millie. And Prince Jackson did you not hear me calling you?" She asks. I nod my head, a little guilty. "It's time to go get your suit," she says. 

                I groan. She tilts her head to the side, her shoulder length hair turning with her. "It was you that asked for this ball was it not?" she asks. I sigh. "Yes. And please just call me Jax." "Well then, you should hurry Prince Jax!" she exclaims. I smile and nod and go the other way. I quite like Millie. Lots of the servants rarely look me in the eye but she seems to be one of the few who would talk to me like a friend. 

                If today was a normal day I would have thanked her for acting normal but today was not a normal day. It is the day of the ball. The Moonlight Masquerade. The day I choose my bride. "Prince Jackson. Your suit." The seamstress says, not meeting my eyes. The top is royal blue, lined with gold designs and the buttons are gold as well. The pants are white with gold trim. "Thank you Madame Valien." I say. She meets my eye for a moment then smiles. "You're welcome Prince Jackson" She says then looks away again. 

                "Try it on Prince Jackson," a voice says behind me. I jump and turn around. I relax. "Kristen." Kristen gives me and the seamstress a playful grin. "Hey Evie!" He greets the seamstress. "Hello Kristen," Evie greets her nephew. "Jax. Fancy clothing you got there. You gonna wear it to the ball?" He asks. I nod. "Oh Kristen, don't hassle the prince before the ball! Fairy be he's getting married!" Evie the seamstress exclaims. Kristen pouts. "Oh come on Evie! He's my friend! And I'm going to talk to him about that," he says. Evie shakes her head and laughs. "Alright, I'll give you two some privacy. The changing room is over there Prince Jackson," she says pointing to a room and goes away. 

                "So... married huh? I knew it'd be you first, you are the most handsome of us two. Who's the lucky lady?" he asks. I roll my eyes. "Ok I'm not that handsome, you are too." I say. Kristen scoffs. "You're still better looking," he says. I grin. "I am, aren't I?" I say. Kristen rolls his eyes. "Who are you getting married to?" He asks. "Didn't you read the invitation?" I ask. 

                Kristen places a hand on his chest. "Me? You want to marry me Jax?" He asks. I slap my forehead. "Oh come on, you know what I mean. That invitation was sent to Annie but you should know the deal with the ball," I say. "My cousin nearly fainted. She was all 'Jax is getting married? He's giving every single marriage eligible maiden a chance? That doesn't even make sense!' And I agreed with her and told her I would ask you what that's about. This ball doesn't sound like you so why are you holding it?" Kristen asks. 

                 I sigh, heavily. "It's either this or an alliance marriage. I have this ball to choose a bride from or I marry Princess Angelica." I tell him. "So who are you going to choose?" Kristen asks. "The point of the ball is to give every eligible maiden a chance. I wouldn't know," I lie. Kristen laughs. "I have heard the ball was your idea and you made it a masquerade. There's no way you'd do it without the purpose, you already have a queen in mind so you made it a masquerade ball. So you can choose her and people not being able to object because they can't see her beauty or status. It's a fair chance but truly you already know who you're going to choose and want to choose her without an argument, therefore announcing the ball like Prince Charming and marrying whoever you'd like, am I right?" Kristen asks. "Of course not!" I exclaim. Kristen raises an eyebrow. "Alright fine! Yes you are right," I finally admit. Kristen grins. "So... who's the lucky lady?" He asks. I think about it for a moment. "Well the girl... I'm sure you know her... her name is Gillian Cobbler."