Chapter 2

Mina POV

Ugh, I hate it when my hair falls on my face when I study, I tap the top of my pen against my lips, another bad habit. I look at the time, shoot there's ten more minutes left for lunch, that's nowhere near enough time to go to the canteen, eat, and get to class. I sigh, I should really start eating lunch, this is the third time in a row!

I rush to class since it's across the campus, I guess I'll just grab something after school.

- - -

After my last class, I walked to my locked, exhausted from school. Huh? There was a white plastic bag hanging from the handle, I peek through the bag and find a note, "Don't study too hard and forget to eat lunch!" What kind of joke is this?

I look around to see if the person who left this here was still around. The only person I saw was Son Chaeyoung and I am most definite that she did not put it here. She probably doesn't even know my name let alone that I exist, but what does it matter anyways, she's the popular jock and I'm the lonely nerd.

My best friends were sent back to Japan because their parents thought that they needed a stricter education but since I was doing really well in school, I stayed behind. I miss them everyday but we only talk on Friday nights since they are studying, at school, or busy on all the other days. I walk to the library, my books in one hand, the bag of food in the other. I set myself down at my usual seat and begin studying.

A few hours later, someone else comes in. I don't really pay much attention to who walks in but since no one else was here today, I decided who I'd be sharing the library with.

Son Chaeyoung, what are you doing here!? I didn't know she even studied. I shook it off but then suddenly got this chilly feeling like someone was watching me. When I looked up, she turned away, ah, she was probably looking at something behind me, I should stay focused.

"Can't believe the library is empty today." A voice said out loud, but I ignored it, paying more attention to the music playing from my earbud. "What are you listening to?" a hand reached over to take an earbud.

What is happening?

"Huh, Eyes Eyes Eyes by Twice, I love this song!" She hummed along, creating her own choreo as it played. "Um, what are you doing here?" I asked, still in shock that she would talk to me. "I was bored and you're the only person in this library other than me, so what are you studying?" She hopped onto the table. "Uh, Anatomy" I faced back to my textbook, "Oh wow, that sounds super smart, but our high school doesn't offer a course like that right?" She asked, "Yeah, I'm just studying it for fun." Way to be a nerd Mina.

"Really?! That's amazing, you are quite intelligent!" She applauds. I'm so confused right now, what's the catch? I just nod and proceed with my work, "Would you like to get some dinner with me? It looks like you've been studying for a long time and haven't had a bite to eat?" She asked. I looked up once again and she looked sincere? But then again, this could be one of those cruel pranks where the popular kids are out to humiliate the nerds. "Sorry, I can't, I have to be home soon." I lied, I didn't need to be associated with her, be caught and have a bunch of her admirers come after me.

I walked home, my stomach growling, maybe I should have gone to get dinner. I walked up the steps, turned the key, "Surprise!" Two very loud and crazy girls rushed over to greet me, "Sana?! Momo?! What are you doing here??" I asked, obviously surprised that they are here and not in Japan, "We're back for our senior year! You didn't think we would graduate together didn't you?" Sana squealed, "I can't believe it, I thought I was going to be alone again, I missed you two so much!" I hugged them both. "Aww, we missed you too Minari!"

I went upstairs to clean up a bit but I heard the doorbell ring, did they order something? I heard talking and hurriedly put on more comfortable clothes to go see who it was but by the time I got there, the door was shut. "Who was that?" I asked, sitting at the table, "I don't know, but she wanted to give you some food since you spent all after school studying which by the way is no way to spend most of your time. You need to be partying Mina!" Sana exclaimed.

It couldn't have been Chaeyoung right? I seemed to have zoned out, "Mina?" Momo waved her hand in front of my eyes, "Huh?" I snapped back, "What?" I asked, "The girl that came by earlier, she seemed like she really cared about you...is she your girlfriend?!" Momo asked, violently shaking my arm. "You two are too funny, do you really think I'd have time for dating when I have all this studying to do?" I rolled my eyes.

"Mina, knowing you, you probably already know everything that is going to be taught this year and then some." Momo said, scooping rice into her mouth. I stayed silent, which caused even more silence. But thank goodness my parents came home, "We're back! Sana, Mom, it's nice to see you, welcome back!!" They went to hug them.

Before we went to bed, my parents told me that they were going back to Japan for some business and Sana, Momo, and I would have the house all to ourselves. Great, it will either be endless days of partying with no studying, them constantly nagging me about my romantic life, or maybe they've changed and have become more mature. But I highly doubt that last one.

But I could care less, I'm glad that at least I won't have to spend my senior year alone.

- - - - -

How does one study without immediately being distracted??? Like I'll be searching for music on youtube to listen to and then accidentally spend the next hour watching Twice vids 😭 explain the science in that...my productivity levels are down the drain, and brain cells, what are those? 😂 Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter!!

- Pengu <3