Chapter 18

Chaeyoung POV

"Great presentation and nice teamwork, very informative!" Our teacher applauded after we showcased our research on penguins and tigers. "Thanks teach, I had fun working with her." I replied back. "Same here." She joined in. "We may have worked together in the research but it was mostly Mina who added the pizazz and made it interesting." I said, giving her more credit.

"Are you coming to my game tonight?" I wrote her a note in class, "Do I have to?" She wrote back, "That hurts, you don't have to, but I'll do better if you're there." I passed it back to her. "Fine, I'll go but only to see you miss." We playfully tease each other.

- - -

"You actually came." I cross my arms, walking up to her. "I could always leave." She rolls her eyes, "Is that for me?" I smirk as I point to the energy drink she has in her hand, " No, it's for um," She looks behind me, "Number 23." She crosses her arms trying to match her opponent. "Oh is it now, and number 23's name is..." I say, finding flaws in her answer.

"Fine, it's for you, but don't make a big deal out of it." She grumbles. "Okay, okay, okay." I say, trying to contain my excitement. "Well, good luck, break a leg." She gives me a thumbs up and I run off.

I need to do well, I have to impress her. I have to impress her so that she'll like me.

- - -

We did pretty well in the first half of the game, leading by thirty points.

I ran over to where Mina was sitting for halftime. "So, how did I do?" I asked expecting praise. "Eh, you were okay, but number 23, wow." She gasps. "What the frick Mina, I mean yeah, Lisa's pretty good but what about meeee." I jumped up and down, annoyed. "So that's her name." She smiles.

"Fine." I start to walk away. "Wait, wait, wait, I'm just joking." She pulls me back. "Are you sure? You don't want me to introduce you?" I ask. "No, I was just playing with you, come sit." She pats the empty seat next to her.

We sat in silence and watched the beginning of the halftime show. "But in all honesty, you weren't that bad." She whispered which made me blush. I'll have to try even harder next time to impress her even more.

- - -

The game finally finished and of course we won. Coach told us to stay and clean up but it was mostly Tzuyu, Mina, Sana, and I since Dahyun and Momo were talking. Even though they didn't need to clean up too, it was pretty nice of them to help out. All of a sudden, there seemed to be arguing coming from the corner of the gym.

"Momo, I'm done, I want to break up!" Dahyun yells as she starts walking away, "Dahyun! You don't mean this!" Momo takes her arm, "W-we can work this out." Momo starts to break down, "No, I'm sorry Momo, but I can't do this anymore." Dahyun says and grabs Sana's arm, "Come with me." She says and they start running down the empty hall.

Momo starts running her hand through her hair, "What..." tears streaming down her face, she hits the wall. I feel Mina clinging on to my arm, my sweater starting to get wet from her tears. Tzuyu and I look at each other and she signals me to take care of Mina and mouths "I've got this, go." I nod and hold her in my arms.

"Hey, let's go here." I guided her to the bench. "I'm sorry so Chaeng, you shouldn't see me like this, I shouldn't even be crying, it's just, when I get stressed I seem to break down and everything just builds up and I-" She lets out a lengthy sigh. "Hey, hey, I don't care how you look as long as I'm with you." I whisper, comforting her.

I wrap my arms around her as she crumbles into my arms, burying her head into my shoulder.

Mina POV