Chapter 20: Master's Orders

Previously...

"What's more important to you? Y/n or the tournament?"

Cheng's grip slackened completely as he stared at Dre. What did Y/n have anything to do with the tournament? He won almost every year and he wasn't about to let Dre win at Cheng's own game.

"What?" he finally asked.

Dre rolled his eyes. "Y/n has somehow got it in her head that this tournament determines who wins Meiying's heart. To her, you and I aren't battling for the first-place trophy. She thinks we're fighting for Meiying here."

Cheng's hands slipped away from Dre's collar completely as he backed away. He shook his head, in denial, in confusion. "That's ridiculous. I'm over Meiying. I just want to beat you."

"I'm just trying to win some respect," Dre said exasperatedly. He sent Cheng, who was looking incredibly confused, an almost sympathetic look. "Just thought I should let you know so Y/n won't have to suffer anymore."

With that, Dre left, brushing by Liang, who had appeared at the doorway.

Glancing at Dre's back, Liang stepped into the room, concerned. "You okay, Cheng? I was coming for some water when I heard shouting."

Cheng sucked in a deep breath before looking up, stunned. "I think...I think I finally get it."

'I can't believe I'm saying this,' he thought, collapsing back against the wall with another sigh. 'But thank you, Dre. You might not be that bad after all...'

~First Person P.O.V~

The team looked up when Cheng and Liang returned.

"They announced the semi-final match ups," Zhuang exclaimed excitedly.

"Dre's chances at winning just went down the drain," Qing said cheerfully. "Liang's going to beat him for sure."

"His chances were in the drain originally," Feng laughed. Nonetheless, he clapped Liang on the shoulder. "Make us proud, Liang."

Liang grinned and was about to respond when Master Li suddenly approached them.

"Y/n, Cheng, you two will be fighting first," Master Li said in his usual growl. We nodded, assuming there was nothing more to say, but our master beckoned me closer. Cautiously, I inched towards him until I was standing directly before him. "Y/n, you are to allow Cheng to win and advance to the finals."

They all looked up in shock.

I myself looked appalled by the order. "What? I can't just let him win!"

Master Li glowered down at me, his expression threatening corporal punishment if I didn't heed his order. "You can, and you will. I want Cheng to hold that trophy before that maintenance man's eyes."

I didn't seem to notice the hidden threat in my master's face. Angrily, I argued, "I want to fight him fairly though! You can't just—"

"I can," Master Li hissed. "Now you will do as your master says!"

"But—"

SLAP!

My head cracked to the side, and I stumbled, just barely stabilized by Cheng. The few spectators in the audience near us who'd caught the slap gasped, and several masters from the other dojos stiffened at the sight of a teacher hitting a student. Alarmed murmurs started amongst the nearby dojos' students.