Peas in a Pod (Twenty-Nine)

Outfit checked for wrinkles one last time, Larisa pulled in a deep calming breath and exited the elevator. Reminding herself to maintain a steady level of courage, she walked into the large room. It wasn't bustling like was often the case on televised crime dramas, but wasn't exactly quiet either. However, there was just enough quiet for Larisa to overhear Michaela's side of a phone conversation. She sounded pissed off yet somehow concurrently polite. Demanding to be presented with results sooner than later, the detective dropped the phone back onto its base as a growl erupted from her throat.

Hm, perhaps now wasn't the time to approach Detective Delicious. However, if she didn't do so when would she be given another opportunity? She was leaving tomorrow and what if by the time she returned Michaela met someone? Then again, she could already be romantically involved. Hell, she could have a couple of cute little kids at home with Mrs. Delicious. Unless Larisa's gaydar was way off and there was instead a Mr. Delicious.

Larisa shook her head. If she didn't stop, all the last minute reassessing was bound to grace her with a headache. She instructed herself to relax as a particular pair of dark eyes met hers. The pleasant smile offered boosting her courage, she smiled in return while heading toward Michaela as she stood up.

Larisa delightedly observed her casual outfit of a long-sleeved two-tone jersey shirt and blue jeans with Michaela's shiny badge attached to her belt. Larisa couldn't figure out why, but something about a female officer with a badge (especially placed in that position) enticed her.

Probably the badassedness of it. A strong, brave, intelligent woman with a badge is badassed. Her brow slightly furrowed as she wondered if badassedness was an official word, soon shaking her head no. Should be a word though.

"Hey, Larisa," the detective greeted, close enough for the other woman to inhale a lightly fragranced perfume. "What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

Throat cleared, Larisa attempted to keep her eyes from roaming. "I um, wanted to ask if you like food." Like food? That's not what she meant to say, not what she practiced. Good Lord, she wished she could rewind this scene until she was in the elevator and then press play.

Did she like food. Of course she liked food. Everyone liked food. Some ate too much, others ate too little, but Larisa felt safe assuming everyone on the planet liked to eat. Everyone needed sustenance otherwise they would die and dying wasn't good. Okay, stop the mental rambling and try again. "Of course you like food." She pointed, having a sneaking suspicion that her brain hadn't returned from its brief (hopefully) vacation, yet her lips kept moving.

"I mean, look at you. Not that you're fat." Larisa exhibited a two-handed wave, raised hands rapidly flying from left to right. "Not that there's anything wrong with being...above one's ideal body weight. But you're not." Again she pointed toward the obviously amused detective. "Your weight...you look deli--fine. Good." She cleared her throat while glancing toward a window she wished to jump out of. "Ideal. You're wonderful just the way you are." Oh just please shut up. If there were ever any doubt, Larisa was now certain that she definitely had zero game.

The moment Michaela opened her mouth Larisa held up a forestalling hand. "Do me a favor, all right?" When she pointed over Michaela's shoulder, she turned, noticing that finger was aimed toward her desk. "Could you go sit down?"

"And what're you gonna do?"

"Board the elevator."

Her amusement was replaced by concern mixed with dejection. "You're leaving? Don't go."

Although a part of her still wanted to exit via that window, the soft plea caused her to feel a little better. Despite all that she said for some peculiar reason Michaela didn't wish her to leave. She drummed up a smile. "Not going anywhere. Just rewinding so to speak." Glad when she complied without another word, Larisa headed back to the elevator. Two minutes later she purposefully strode up to Michaela's desk. "Good afternoon, Detective Baldwin. How are you?" Better already.

Michaela offered the same pleasant smile from a few minutes ago. "Good afternoon to you as well, Larisa. Busy as a bee but doing well. Yourself?" Immediately apologizing for the interruption, her visitor started to genuinely leave until Michaela politely demanded that she stay and occupy the seat before her desk. Her smile broadened once Larisa achieved both. Sitting forward, the detective linked her fingers together atop the desk while gazing toward her. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit? Something about food?" She winked while Larisa's cheeks heated.

"Mm, yes. Would you be interested in having lunch with me?"

"I'd love to. Really would love to, but I'm swamped here." She appeared thoughtful, clicking the pen in her hand. "How about dinner tonight?"

Larisa shook her head. "Having this family meal thing since I have a flight out tomorrow early evening."

"Oh yeah?" The detective's disappointment was visible for everyone within that room to view. Los Angeles sure was lucky.

"Yeah. Thankfully I have awesome and patient partners at the firm, but I need to get back to work since all seems to be settling down here. Time to return to my briefcase."

"Larisa Love, attorney at law," Michaela proudly stated while beaming. "We could be two peas in a pod if you were a prosecutor."

"I think you're wrong."

"Am I?"

"Oh yes, ma'am." Larisa nodded as a grin formed. "Just because I'm a defense lawyer doesn't mean you and I couldn't occupy the same pod. I'm aware plenty of us say this, but I do my level best to only defend those who are innocent. Or if they're not so innocent I can completely understand why they did what they did. Take Piper for example." Back pressed against the chair, she crossed one leg over its partner. "I would have defended her in a heartbeat."

"Okay. I get that." Michaela adopted that grin. "Peas in a pod we are then. So, pea, we can't have dinner nor a proper lunch."

"Excuse me, ladies." Both looked toward the man seated at a desk nearest Michaela's. Smiling at them, he apologized for listening in on their conversation before suggesting that they walk to the deli across the street. "That way you'll be close, Mickey. I'll watch your phone and if you receive any important calls I'll ring your cell. Go on. You can take half an hour or so."

"You sure, Marsh?"

"Nah, I'm lying."

A smirk quickly becoming a chuckle, she refocused on Larisa. "What about that? You like sandwiches? I happen to love their pastrami sandwiches. Yummy and they're generous with the portions."

Larisa appeared supremely pleased. Lunch at a deli sounded just fine. As long as they could spend some quality time together before she left San Francisco. It figured she would develop feelings for someone only for there to be almost four hundred miles between them. Which reminded her, she still wasn't certain that Michaela was gay or even interested in her. Perhaps she thought Larisa was merely asking her out as a potential friend. Then again she should probably know that she was interested in her as how many stumbled their way through a friendship lunch invitation?

"Sounds great. I'm ready when you are."

They awaited the elevator's arrival when Larisa whispered, "You know this is supposed to be a lunch date, right?" She faintly grinned. "Because I think you're cute, sweet, smart..."

"Please do go on." Michaela fluttered her lashes and Larisa laughed. "To answer your question, I'd assumed it was." Both wore identical joyous smiles while walking onto the elevator, Michaela pressing the button for the first floor. Just as the doors shut, she leaned toward the other woman and whispered directly into her ear, "By the way, you're cute, sweet and smart too and I could just drown in those dimples."

Larisa was rendered speechless, but it was all right because twinkling eyes and a contented smile showcasing the just referenced dimples did the talking for her.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Larisa had just taken a big bite of pastrami when asked to share something about herself. She chewed while pondering an answer, coming up with one by the time she swallowed. A sip taken from the cup of soda to her left, she wiped her mouth with a napkin. "Sort of ashamed to admit this, but I'm in the closet. Family doesn't know and I could count the number of friends who do on one hand without requiring all its fingers."

Reaching across the small table they occupied, Michaela's hand covered hers. "Hey, that's okay. Nothing to be ashamed of, Larisa. Everyone goes at their own pace and there isn't a time limit on when you can share that information. Some are teenagers, some in their twenties, thirties, forties...I happen to know a woman who was married to a man for thirty-five years, raised four children with him and then admitted she was gay. Take your time. Do it when you're ready, when you feel comfortable." Asked if she was out, Michaela nodded.

"When? How did it go?"

"I was twenty, which was thirteen years ago. I was at my parents house on Independence Day and everything was going well. Dad was preparing his famous barbecue in the backyard, family members were swimming, playing games, dancing, conversing aka gossiping...a typical fun holiday. Then my brother's girlfriend, who was my friend before they started dating, asked me in the vicinity of my mother where my lady was. I love her, but the girl's mouth runs like a refrigerator.

"Mom stops pouring punch into a cup, walks over and insists that Traci repeat that, which she hesitantly does because Mom is giving her that 'you better not even think of lying to me' look that some mothers just have mastered to perfection. Without another word, she grabs my hand and storms into the house while I feel various pairs of eyes on us. Once we're in the living room what she says causes my stomach to flip flop."

Sandwich, dill pickle and chips forgotten, Larisa stared across the table. "What did she say?"

"I am very disappointed in you." She shook her head. "My parents are very liberal, very casual people, so while I was nervous about telling them that I was attracted to women, that sentence caught me by surprise. Until Mom continued." A smile twitched upon Michaela's lips. "She was disappointed that I neglected to bring my lady to the barbecue. How could I be so rude as to leave her at home on a holiday? And why was I hiding her when there wasn't any good reason?

"Man, I just burst into big, fat relieved tears. We embraced and then returned to the backyard where I told everyone else. Unlike Mom, some were shocked, but everyone took it pretty well. Then I went home, apologized for being a giant chicken and brought her back to the party where my family greeted her with open arms."

Larisa smiled as her date's story concluded. "That's wonderful. Wish my family were very liberal, very casual people. Although I'm so upset with my father, right now couldn't care less what he thinks."

"Why are you upset with him?"

Shit. She just spoke without using her brain because there wasn't any way she could explain that without Michaela learning the truth and as the lead detective on the case she couldn't very well ignore such information.

Larisa shrugged, delaying a few moments by sipping her soda. "It's just the way he's reacted to Piper's return. Blames her for putting Desiree in harm's way, which I can sort of understand, but he's being an ass. Behaves like she's the devil's apprentice or something. If my sister can let it go that she was kidnapped, he should be able to as well. Piper isn't the enemy." That response wasn't bad. Not bad at all and actually it happened to be the truth as the judge had made it quite clear that he didn't want Piper Redding hanging around his child.

"If she were my daughter I'd probably harbor issues with their relationship too," Michaela softly replied. "Is Piper going to your family dinner?"

"I very much doubt that." She was surprised Desiree had agreed to come considering she would have to spend time with their father in the same room for at least an hour. "There's a better chance of the sky opening up and raining money."

The detective laughed. "Raining money. I can just imagine the pandemonium that would cause."

Approaching their table, the twentysomething waiter asked if either of them wanted a beverage refill. Both declined and he was about to walk away when Larisa called him back. He smiled. "Change your mind, ma'am?" A clear pitcher in his grasp, he shook it causing the ice cubes within to clink against the glass.

"No." She returned his smile. "Just wanted to tell you something." Taking a deep breath, she pointed toward her chest. "Kurt," she started, reading the plastic narrow name tag clipped to the upper left side of his shirt, "you probably won't care about this, but I've been living in the closet since I was a teenager and I'm tired of it, so I'm sharing with you. My name is Larisa and I'm...I'm a lesbian."

Expression difficult to decipher, Kurt glanced toward Larisa's dining companion causing Michaela to also point toward herself with a smile visible on tinted lips. "Nice to meet you, Kurt. I'm Mickey and I'm also a lesbian."

His sudden grin caused him to look a few years younger. "Nice to meet you both. I'm Kurt and I'm straight, but it's cool that you two aren't. Congratulations. You make a beautiful couple." Neither correcting him, Kurt mentioned for them to call him if they needed anything and moved to another table.

Their eyes connecting, they burst into laughter.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Spooning on the couch with a thin blanket thrown over them, the movie Piper dubbed a standard chick flick within the first ten minutes ended following a happily ever after as the two lovers rode off into the sunset together. Fingers underneath Desiree's T-shirt, she proceeded to tickle her stomach until her own lover couldn't contain the most adorable giggles. "Sure you don't want to go to your parents house for dinner?" Although Piper didn't wish to attend, she made it perfectly clear throughout the day that she would understand if Desiree wanted to spend time with her family. Especially since her sister was getting on a plane tomorrow.

Shaking her head, Desiree shifted onto her back, a warm palm remaining on her stomach. Gazing up at Piper, she smiled. "Aren't you the one who fixed me the cheesiest, most scrumptious spinach lasagna an hour ago?"

Piper pretended to ruminate. "Not certain but that sounds like something I would cook."

Reaching up, Desiree pinched her cheek. "I'm full."

"They'll probably have dessert."

"I'm not going."

"Even to spend time with Larisa?"

"She and I are hanging out tomorrow. Spending most of the day together while my woman is earning a paycheck."

Broadly grinning, Piper tenderly tasted her lips. "Like being called your woman," she murmured against those lips. "Hey, I could offer you dessert."

Cupping her face, Desiree's thumbs brushed back and forth. "Maybe later. I really am full, sweetheart."

"You misunderstood me. I could offer you," Piper's eyebrows danced, "dessert." She could practically view the light bulb above the other woman's head illuminating.

"Ooh. Dessert."

"Yes. You wanna?"

"Like I'm gonna turn that down."

Laughing, Piper kissed the palms on either side of her face and sat up. Grabbing the remote, she switched the television off. "Ready?"

Desiree insisted that Piper head to the bedroom while she took care of the dishes. Although Piper attempted to offer her assistance several times, her lover refused claiming that she could and would clean the kitchen alone since she prepared them such an amazing meal. "You the cook go relax in bed while I handle it. Shouldn't take me any longer than fifteen minutes. Maybe twenty." She leaned toward Piper, zeroing in on her mouth. "Then we'll have dessert."

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

The kitchen sparkling and the dishes scrubbed, dried and put away eighteen minutes later, Desiree gave Tobias an after dinner treat before heading toward the bedroom. Quietly opening the door, she smiled upon viewing the gorgeous form on the bed. Piper was stretched out underneath the cover with an arm draped across her face covering her eyes from view, chest steadily rising and falling. So much for partaking of dessert.

Chuckling to herself, she pulled back the cover on her side of the bed and carefully climbed within, trying not to disturb her sleeping partner. Light extinguished, she settled next to her, eyes having just adjusted to the darkened room when Piper rolled onto her side throwing an arm across her middle. Piper's breath warm and softly blown against the side of her neck, she soon succumbed to sleep.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

She was dreaming and my oh my, was it vivid. Someone placed kiss after kiss upon her neck, which she discovered was quite a delightful feeling responsible for the sensations soaring through her body. She moaned in response to a warm hand shifting under the waistband of her panties, traveling downward until it covered her mound. Another moan was elicited as a pair of the softest lips covered her own. When the tip of a tongue grazed her bottom lip, dark eyes fluttered open and she realized this wasn't actually the beginning to an erotic dream.

Desiree leaned away just long enough to switch on the lamp, eyes squinting due to the sudden brightness. Head swiveling in the opposite direction, she discovered Piper wide awake and focused on her. Pressed so close to her, she detected the heat emanating from her body. She could also detect an index finger consistently rubbing at the entrance between her thighs.

Shivering yet far from being chilled, Desiree bit down on her lower lip to contain the next moan begging to be set free. "Pi...Piper, what're you doing?" What kind of idiotic question was that? What does it look--or actually feel like she's doing?

Piper chuckled low in her throat. "Pretty certain you know what I'm doing, Desi," she whispered, mouth brushing an inviting neck. "Sorry I fell asleep before dessert. I'd like to make it up to you now." Awakening a quarter to one in the morning, the first thing she yearned to do after realizing she had drifted to sleep while waiting for Desiree to clean the kitchen was smack herself with a pillow much like Larisa had at the hospital.

Her mouth covered a patch of skin, the tip of her tongue creating small circular patterns. "You taste so good, Desi. My favorite dessert." Head raised, she gazed into her eyes. "You still interested or would you rather go back to sleep?"

Desiree wished she could magically snap her fingers making the few clothes they wore disappear. "Screw sleep."

"I'd rather screw you." She grinned while Desiree blushed, rolling her eyes.

"That mouth of yours needs a bar of soap." She decided that since they didn't have a bar of soap handy her tongue would have to suffice. Piper's face cupped, she guided her downward until their mouths heatedly connected. Tongues playfully intertwined while hands touched every bit of skin they could reach with the clothing still in their way.

Kisses coming to an end, Piper moved into a kneeling position, a leg on either side of Desiree's. Hands grasping the end of her lover's shirt, she began to pull it upward. Very much wanting to help, Desiree sat up and shucked her T-shirt, throwing it across the room. Darkened blue eyes focused on a just revealed pair of voluptuous breasts, Piper growled low in her throat as she leaned down to draw a rosy nipple into her mouth.

Gasping at the stimulating contact, Desiree clutched the back of a blond head, her own thrown back. Sucking increased, Piper nudged her to lie back down on the mattress. Not wanting it to feel jealous, her mouth soon switched to the other breast, tongue rolling over and around a nipple as it dutifully responded to the welcomed attention. She didn't mind the hand seemingly intent on pulling the hair from her scalp as she sucked that nipple within her mouth not releasing until her name was rapturously whispered.

Crawling backward, fingers inserted under the sides of Desiree's pajama bottoms and panties, swiftly tugging both down and off at the same time. Discarded on the floor, her eyes raked over a petite and beautiful body that deserved to be sculpted so people might be fortunate to view it for decades. Meanwhile, Desiree began to fidget in response to the silent and touchless exploration. She wanted this woman to make love to her, not examine as if she were a rare piece of art.

She cleared her throat. "Are you going to look or are you interested in touching?"

A ghost of a smile curved Piper's lips. "Call me greedy because I'd like to achieve both." A tiny moan caused her to throb.

"Then have at it."

As though suspecting they had been dipped in poison, Piper hurriedly removed her clothing, granting Desiree with the opportunity to admire her body. Was it merely her imagination or did Piper look even better than she had just the day prior? Speaking of art, some proficient artist should commit her image to a canvas and then carefully tuck it behind a frame to prevent it from being sullied.

Sliding atop the smaller woman, their lips immediately met, Desiree's hands stroking the length of Piper's back while melting into the kiss. Hips undulating, Piper began a slow grind into her, mouth leaving hers to kiss along her jawline. "I want you so badly." She sucked a patch of skin into her mouth while blunt fingernails dug into the flesh of her lower back. Her name whispered, Piper raised her head. "Yeah, baby?"

"On your back."

Without comment, she rolled to Desiree's left, landing on her back per instructions. A grin shown the moment Desiree straddled her hips. Announcing her plans to have dessert, Desiree leaned down placing soft kisses on eyelids, along the bridge of a nose, trailed tiny kisses along cheeks and then chose to bypass wonderfully supple lips, instead focusing on Piper's neck. Mouth placed over the spot she could feel a racing pulse point, she alternated the flicks of her tongue with sucking as Piper moaned, rocking her hips up into her.

Fingers sifted through her hair while she licked a trail down the front of her lover's neck, lips smacking along her collarbone. She littered kisses along an upper chest when hands landed on her shoulders pushing downward. Although Desiree understood the hint, she chose not to readily comply. Her smile mischievous, she searched the impatient woman's face. "Do you want something, Piper?"

Reminding her of a sexy blonde bear, Piper emitted another growl. "You know what I want. Please don't tease me, baby. Taste your dessert."

"You know," Desiree started in a conversational tone fully aware Piper resembled someone on the verge of taking charge of the situation, "this chick once told me patience is a virtue."

Piper smirked. "Really? Well, whoever she is, she's crazy."

Grinning, Desiree finally kissed those supple lips. "I couldn't agree with you more, but I wouldn't have her any other way."

"Oh, you like crazy women?"

"Yes, they're much more fascinating."

"Huh." Piper appeared thoughtful. "Think that might make you at least a smidgen crazy."

Before Desiree could blink, she found herself lying on the bed with her partner leaning over her. "Hey! I'm supposed to be on top."

"Nope."

"Nope?"

"I've decided," she lowered her body atop Desiree's, eyes briefly shutting at the exquisite contact of their bodies, "to take," a hand stroked along Desiree's body starting at the side of her breast.

Breath quickening, Desiree wondered where that hand would end up. Soft lips grazed her chin, leisurely traveling down her throat while that busy hand caressed her thigh, fingertips drawing random patterns. Piper scooted downward until her mouth was level with full breasts. A tongue lightly flicked across a tightened nipple causing Desiree to arch her back. "Matters," Piper whispered, blowing warm breath on the softest skin. She continued to draw as much of that breast into her mouth as was possible. Desiree uttered her name while she paid the other breast equal attention.

Ending the sweet torture, Piper slid off her, yet made sure their bodies still touched. Hand on her thigh, she caressed a path to the inside of it having a destination in mind. "Into," voice thickened with desire, one long finger stroked swollen folds before dipping between, sheathed in velvet heat, "my own hands."

A pleasurable cry released, Desiree turned to face her, both resting on their sides. Wanting her lover to feel what she currently experienced, she slipped a hand between them, fingers brushing an area already slick with arousal. Delightedly moaning into her mouth, Piper rocked her hips giving Desiree the impression she yearned for more as she chose to add another finger, steadily thrusting. 

Deciding she shouldn't have to wait another moment, Desiree entered with the same amount of digits. Breathing the same heated air, hips furiously gyrating, they eagerly matched each other's strokes, soon working up to a zealous pace. Delivered to the precipice at nearly the same moment, they catapulted, unintentionally competing for the most vocal while coming award.

Once her breathing was in the vicinity of normal, Piper rolled to her back. "That was...damn."

Chuckling, Desiree agreed with a nod. "My sentiments exactly." Piper's arms stretched out, she shifted closer, pulling the cover over them and rested her cheek on a breast while those arms wrapped around her. "Just occurred to me that I never tasted my dessert." Sucking glistened fingers into her mouth, she chuckled again after detecting her lover's groan. She shut her eyes as a hand soothingly rubbed her back. Head turned, Desiree's lips brushed the breast she was using for a pillow.

The next few minutes passing by without verbal exchange, Piper finally felt the need to break the silence. "Desi, I don't feel like I deserve you. In fact, I'm certain that I don't. You deserve to be with someone so much better, much more stable than I. Just look at the way we met. I kidnapped you." Her mouth and nose nuzzled the top of a dark head. "I'm so sorry, baby," she whispered, a tear escaping and quickly absorbed by the pillow beneath her head.

"Having said that, I'm too selfish to leave you. Can't do that. I don't want to leave you because I need you...I love you. It frightens me how much. I guess you could say I desire you, Desiree." Piper softly chuckled. "Been waiting to use your name and that word in the same sentence." She paused, hand continuing to move along Desiree's back. "If you were ever to decide you didn't want me, I wouldn't attempt to stop you. Just understand that you'd be taking my heart with you. For better or worse it now belongs to you."

With each passing second Desiree neglected to offer any comment the just mentioned heart beat a little faster. Damn, she must have scared her so horrendously that she wanted to plan an escape from her embrace, the bed and probably the apartment. Good going, stupid. Should have kept my mouth shut. "Desi, I'm sorry for everything I said. Are you upset?"

When she still didn't respond, with a furrowed brow Piper shifted until she could view her face--her relaxed face. Eyes shut and lips slightly parted, Desiree was fast asleep. Relief flooding her, Piper tenderly smiled. "I'll be damned. Paid me back for drifting off as she cleaned the kitchen." Switching off the light without Desiree awakening, she held her tighter, kissing her head. Eyes slipping shut, she whispered, "Sweet dreams, shorty."