More Power to You (Eighteen)

Detective Gibson picked up the phone and dialed Judge Richard Love's number. On the second ring, the man picked up. "Good afternoon, Judge Love."

"Detective." Based on the tone of his voice, the older man was positively miserable. "Did you hear about the killing of Michael Lowell?"

"That's precisely why I'm calling. We suspect that Piper Redding is responsible for that as well. What do you think?"

The judge neglected to offer a ready reply. "I've been thinking about it, and maybe she didn't do it. Maybe she's being framed," he lied. It was killing him not to tell the truth, but he had Desiree to think about. No matter what he had to protect his daughter. After all, it was partly his fault she was in this current predicament.

"Framed?" the detective repeated with surprise in his voice. Now he knew that the judge was hiding something. Piper must have his daughter as her hostage. The detective smiled with much victory. Now all he had to do was find out where the fugitive had stashed the young woman and herself as well. Not being able to find Piper was making him extremely tense and agitated. "What do you mean?" he continued. "She tried to kill your son, sir. He even admitted that it was her."

I know, the judge grimly thought. "Maybe he was just confused."

"Confused, sir?" The detective frowned. What are you hiding, Judge? "Did you hear the description of the female who murdered Michael Lowell?"

"Yes, I did, but Piper Redding is not the only woman in California who fits the description tall, blonde, and athletic. Go to the nearest beach and I assure you, you'll find at least half a dozen."

"Uh huh. Well this information hasn't been released to the public yet, but I happen to know for a fact that someone paid Michael Lowell ten-thousand dollars to make sure that Redding was convicted. I would bet on my life that the other slain jurors were also handsomely paid. Obviously, somehow Redding must have found out and decided to make them pay with their lives." Victor sat back in his chair, a grin playing on his lips. "What do you think about that, sir?" All he could hear coming from the other line for the next few seconds was the judge's harsh breathing.

"I told you that someone is framing her."

"Why all of the sudden are you defending her?" he paused for emphasis. "You hiding something, sir? If you are, you need to tell me what it is. This woman is very dangerous and needs to be apprehended as soon as possible. What if she goes after your daughter while she's on that ski trip? What if she goes after your other daughter Larisa? Too many lives have already been lost, so don't make it more by keeping your mouth shut. I need your help if you can give it to me."

"I'm sorry. I can't help you."

Detective Gibson cursed under his breath. "Well that's too bad. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have a man like you in our judicial system. Have a nice day, sir." The detective hung up the phone in anger. He hadn't got anywhere with that call.

Victor looked toward the computer screen in front of him, expression thoughtful. This Tommy Jacobson that he located may have some answers for him. According to what he found, Jacobson, Potter, and Redding had been like the three Musketeers in high school. He figured that Potter and Redding had been the closest, since Jacobson had not met them until he started at their high school as a junior. The detective mused that perhaps Tommy Jacobson was embroiled in this somehow. Well, there was only one sure way to find out. Rising from the chair, he obtained his car keys, and left the office.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3