Love to Lie (Twenty-Five)

Blood practically boiling, she walked into her parents' home, slamming the door shut. The aroma of dinner being prepared reached her nostrils, but in that moment she couldn't have cared less about eating. She had a bone to pick with him and absolutely nothing else mattered until she tracked him down and allowed the words to erupt from her throat.

Figuring he might be there, she was on her way to his home office when her mother spotted her walking by the kitchen. Hands curled into fists and nails digging into the flesh of her palms, she turned toward her, hoping that she didn't look anywhere near as incensed as she felt.

"Good evening, Mother."

Head cocked to the side, she studied the young woman closer. "Are you all right, honey?"

"Where is your husband?"

She raised an eyebrow. "My husband? You mean your father?"

Although she didn't particularly care to refer to him as that, she dutifully nodded. "Is he in the office?" Assured that he was, she continued on, ignoring when her mother said her name several times.

Not bothering to knock, she threw the door open as he poured some of the caramel colored liquid within a decanter into a short glass. "Oh, just what I need." Door shut and locked, she walked over, picked it up before he could wrap a hand around it and took a sip, trying to appear calm as it burned a path down her throat.

His chair creaked as he leaned back into it while studying her. "Larisa, what are you doing here? I didn't know you were coming for dinner. A pleasant surprise." Little did he know, it wouldn't be pleasant for long.

"I didn't. Came to see you about a trial you just finished up." Throat wary of its contents, she put the glass of liquor down.

Richard appeared befuddled. "A trial? Since when did you care to discuss my trials?"

Two chairs in front of his desk, she selected the one on the right. "Since you sentenced a teenage girl to eleven years for defending her mother against the pernicious S.O.B. trying to strangle her."

An invisible wall covering his emotion, the judge pretended to shuffle papers on his desk. "Larisa, that case is over and done with and I don't wish to discuss it. Are you staying for dinner? Your mother is making pork chops. There's plenty."

Glaring at him though he missed it as he was much too busy focusing on his desk, she felt like telling them him that she didn't give a damn about pork chops. "You may not want to discuss it, but," she pressed an open hand to her chest, "I do."

Sighing, he finally made eye contact. "Why? What is the point?"

"I've been following this case. It wasn't televised, but read all that I could. According to what the media has reported, you seemed like a sympathetic judge and yet you threw the book at her. I don't understand why, but I accept the jury found her guilty. You could have given her the minimum, which is three years and she could have been out in two and some change. Why did you tag on eight unnecessary years?" In Larisa's opinion, all eleven were actually unnecessary. Piper shouldn't have to spend one day behind bars as she did the world (and she and her mother especially) a favor by eliminating Alan Redding.

"I did what I had to do," he replied, purposefully enunciating each word.

"What the hell does that mean?"

His hand slamming down on the desk, Richard winced as it caused pain to ripple through it from the tips of his fingers down to his wrist. "Watch your language! I will not tolerate your disrespect."

"Disrespect? You mean like you disrespected Piper?" Hands balled into fists, which rested upon her thighs, she willed herself not to cry. "You don't realize half the crap she's been through with that man you sought such severe justice for. He wasn't just a lousy father. Alan Redding was an evil, sadistic asshole!

"When she was a child he would routinely spank her with a belt making sure to use the buckle. At age sixteen he caught her in bed with another girl and promptly beat her into unconsciousness. The following year, she was home ten minutes late from a Friday night party, so he decided to punish her by throwing her in a closet for the remainder of the weekend. And now thanks to you, Piper will be thrown in a cell until she's almost thirty."

Richard quizzically stared. "How did you know all of that? The belt spanking and the time he beat her until she lost consciousness were brought up during court, but this is the first I've heard of a closet punishment."

Larisa wracked her brain for an answer that sounded plausible. "I interviewed her for a class."

"When?"

"A few weeks ago."

"What class?"

"It doesn't matter. What do you have to say for yourself? I've always deemed you a fair judge, but this...this is so wrong."

"I did what I had to do. Drop it, Larisa."

A couple tears leaking, she shook her head. "I've never been so disappointed in you. I view that bullshit sentencing as your adding onto the abuse. You just didn't use a belt or your fists. I hope you're proud of yourself."

Richard scrubbed his hand over a reddened face. "Get out," he murmured.

"Of your office?"

"My house." He jabbed a finger in the direction of the door. "I'd rather not see you for the remainder of the day."

"The feeling is mutual, Richard."

Storming from his office, Larisa stopped upon spotting her teenage sister a few feet away pretending to observe a painting that had been on that wall for at least a decade. "How much did you hear?"

Her expression sheepish, Desiree shrugged while walking toward her. "Not much really. Kinda muffled." She inclined her head toward the shut door. "You and Dad okay?"

"Don't worry, Desi. It'll be all right." Pulling her car keys from her pocket, she jiggled them. "Have to go. Talk later." Larisa held her arms out for a hug yet her sister refused to step into them.

"Talk to me, please. I have ears and I'm not a baby any longer."

A smile tugged at her lips for the first time that day. "I know you aren't." Running fingers through her hair, Larisa deeply inhaled. "A friend of mine is in trouble and I'm just upset about it."

"What does Dad have to do with it?"

"He presided over her trial. She was found guilty, given a lot of time to serve and I don't think it's right."

Appearing apologetic, Desiree finally leaned in for that hug, squeezing her big sister tight. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "Nothing can be done?"

Larisa shook her head as the embrace ended. "I don't think so. She just...it is what it is."

"Maybe you could go visit her? Write her letters and stuff? My friend Natalie has a brother serving time for some tax stuff and her parents send him care packages like cookies, candy and socks...things like that. It's something to look forward to I imagine. You could do that too."

Nodding, Larisa displayed another smile. "We'll see, baby. Have to go, all right?"

"Mom is making pork chops."

"I heard. That's okay. I'll get something on campus."

"Don't wanna see her either, huh?" Not awaiting an answer, she offered to make Larisa a to-go plate and bring it out to her car. Although she still didn't have an appetite, she took her up on it.

"Thank you, Desi. You're a really cool little sister." She laughed when the girl scowled. Shorter than all her friends, she was quite sensitive about her height. "Sorry about that little part."

.

The ringing of the phone pulling her from long ago thoughts, Larisa grabbed it from the nightstand. Based on the ringtone, she knew who the caller was without having to check the screen. "Morning, Desi. What's up?" Head back on the pillow, she listened as her sister explained that since Piper's doctor had seen it fit to release her, both would require a ride.

Anxiousness slamming into her like an eighteen-wheeler, Larisa quickly sat up, throwing her legs over the side of the bed while she clutched the phone. Before replying, she reminded herself to keep her tone calm. "So...you want me to pick you both up?"

Seeing Piper in her hospital room was one thing, but how was she to manage leaving that hospital with her and traveling in the close quarters of her car? And where would she go? It certainly wouldn't do for Desiree to bring her back to their parents house as she doubted Richard and Sandra would consent to that. Plus, she couldn't imagine Piper would want to be under their roof anyway. Ah, although he remained in the hospital, perhaps she could go to her best friend Taj's house.

"Yes." There was a slight pause on Desiree's end. "Is that all right with you?"

Larisa's stomach twisted into the tightest knots possible while she assured the other woman that it was. "Will she reside with Taj for a bit?"

"No, although he offered. He should be released within the next two or three days. Piper managed to get in contact with her landlord earlier and thankfully she still has her apartment, so she wants to go there."

"That's good. Will you be moving in with her?"

"We haven't discussed that. I mean technically, I live in L.A., although I won't be able to afford my apartment much longer since I'm unemployed and no matter how I feel about her, Piper and I haven't known each other long enough to take that step. I will be spending the night though."

"Dummy."

"Who are you calling a dummy?"

"You." Despite the nerves, a smile briefly landed on Larisa's lips. "Did it occur to you that you have a sister in Los Angeles who just might...oh, I dunno, have a spare bedroom she'd be willing to give you as long as you needed and wanted? I hear the stress in your voice, so don't you worry about future living arrangements. There's plenty of room for your furry son as well." She was quite certain there was a smile on Desiree's lips when she responded with a heaping of gratitude. "How is Piper this morning?"

"She's in pretty good shape for someone who spent significant time tied to a tree. One of the toughest, strongest women I've known." Desiree released a soft chuckle. "If I didn't know any better, I might believe she's an android."

"Too many feels."

"What?"

Eyes shutting, Larisa shook her head while wanting to smack herself for talking without using her brain. "I don't know her wel--I don't know Piper, but she strikes me as a very emotional person...someone who utilizes her whole heart whether that's in a negative or positive way. She can hate just as intensely as she loves. Therefore, she couldn't possibly qualify as an android."

"Wow. Sounds like you do know her already."

A headache making its way to her temples, Larisa stood, heading toward the nearest bathroom. "You tell her everything that happened?" Based on her sister's hesitance to reply, she figured the answer had to be no. "You leave out that part about our father being involved?"

"She's aware of everything but that."

Larisa sighed into the phone while entering the bathroom. "Desiree..." The medicine cabinet opened, she searched its shelves for over the counter painkillers. "She more than anyone has a right to know. Did she specifically ask?" Correct bottle located, she tapped a couple oblong pills into her palm, soon washing them down with a handful of water.

"She did."

"And you lied?"

Desiree's turn to sigh. "I did. Told her Victor said he didn't have anything to do with it."

"I'm certain you've heard of the quote oh what a tangled web we weave?" Light turned off, Larisa headed back to her bedroom.

"I can't tell her, Risa." Desiree's voice was the very definition of miserable. "It's not easy--lying to her. On the one hand I think she should know the truth while on the other I believe this is for the best. I'm afraid of what will occur if she knows he accepted money in exchange for giving her the maximum sentence."

Seated on the side of the bed, Larisa used the thumb and middle finger of her left hand to massage her temples. "What do you think Piper will do? What's the worst? Yell at him? Go to the police? He's a big boy. He can handle it."

"Risa, when I told her what Victor had done to her mother, you know what she attempted to do? Go to the morgue. Although well aware that the man was dead, she yearned to go after his corpse. She was so upset, she had to be given a sedative. Our father is alive and she knows where he lives." She asked her sister to think about it. Richard was the only person left eligible to confront. Everyone else Piper had a right to demand answers from for sending her to prison or attempting to send her back were deceased.

"I understand that, Desi, but--"

"There isn't a but." Though fear was attached to it, she sounded resolved. "I have no intention of telling her the truth for both their sakes, because I'm afraid if Piper finds out, she'll react without proper consideration and as pissed off as I am with him, he's still my father and I don't want any harm coming to him--to either of them in any capacity. It's better this way."

Although she wasn't in full agreement, Larisa chose not to argue. "What time should I be there?"

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

On her way out, Larisa stopped in the kitchen to pour coffee into a travel mug. Turning, she nearly jumped out her skin when she spotted her father standing just inside the kitchen entrance. When he asked if they could talk, she shook her head, tersely commenting that she was on her way out. She initially stared upon his inquiry of her whereabouts.

"Larisa? Does this have something to do with that woman?" A spasm went through his chest the moment he learned Piper Redding had been found alive. He barely slept a wink, wondering what Desiree could have been sharing with her at the local hospital she had been taken to upon rescue. Whenever he did manage to drift off, he dreamt of either Piper Redding or the SF police department showing up at his front door. The former held a gun while the latter a pair of handcuffs.

"That woman's name is Piper and yes it does. She's being released. I'm going to pick them up."

Forehead already shining from perspiration, Richard felt nauseous. "She and your sister." His daughter merely nodded. "Where will she go?"

"If you're concerned that Piper will come after you there isn't any need to be. Desiree made it crystal clear she isn't telling her the full truth. Explained Victor Gibson didn't involve you in his plan, so congratulations. You've escaped from the mess you helped him to create unscathed."

"I am not unscathed, Larisa." Frowning, Richard loosened and retied the straps on his robe. "Not a day has passed when I didn't think about my part in what happened to that wo--Piper Redding."

A long sigh passed through her lips, Larisa dropped a filled mug on the table and pulled a chair out to occupy. She waited until her father did the same before she offered a reply. "Thoughts are all well and good, but at the end of the day they don't achieve anything because they're just thoughts. You cause change through action, which you chose not to take any.

"Martin Luther King had a dream, but did it remain just that? No. He got off his rear, went out and set that dream into motion in order to make this world better for humankind. You? You just focused on making the world better for Richard. Keeping your mouth shut, not taking any action and just thinking about the damage you helped to create doesn't do anyone a damn bit of good."

When he asked what he could have possibly done following Piper's sentencing, Larisa had an urge to throw the heated travel mug at his head. Sitting forward, her hands splayed on the table as she stared at him. "Here's a crazy idea--you could have told the truth! After all, your bookie had already been paid, so you didn't have to worry about him."

"I still had to worry about the people who involved me. I didn't have any clue who they were and why they wanted Piper Redding punished so severely."

Larisa had to unclench her teeth before she spoke. "Then you go to the police. You tell them what these people had you do. Even with your having accepted the bribe, they just may have been lenient on you. However, even if they weren't so what? You would be saving a teenage girl. But you couldn't--no, wouldn't do that because it was more important to save yourself. So you did nothing but think. You left Piper to struggle to stay afloat when you had the power to toss her a lifesaver.

"I should have known." Right hand lifted, Larisa jabbed an index finger against the table, cheeks reddened with anger as she glared. "I should have known something was up all those years ago when I confronted you following her sentencing. I did what I had to do you told me." She shook her head. "You meant you did what you had to do for yourself."

"Believe it or not, I regret my actions."

"Ten years too late. While you were regretting and thinking Piper went through hell because you chose to do nothing after collecting your money." Standing up, Larisa grabbed her travel mug while looking prepared to shout or sob at any second. "You know what? We should change our surname from Love to Lie because that's pretty much what this family does with you and I as the biggest offenders. I need to go. Have a good, sanctimonious day at work." Richard said nothing else as she walked out the kitchen.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Her heart must have been beating a million times per minute as she sat in the visiting room waiting. Eyes zeroing in on the closed door on the other side of the glass, her tongue swiped over her mouth, lipstick long having disappeared. Although several times that little voice within her head advised that this trip wouldn't do anyone any good, she still couldn't stay away. She had to talk with her.

Tearing her eyes away from the door a guard stood in front of, she looked toward the couple at the other end. The man on her side, his palm was pressed to the glass while the woman on the other side wept, a tremulous smile on her lips. She heard him murmur an 'I love you', the woman immediately mouthing it back. Just as he stood up to leave, she spotted movement from the corner of her eye.

Straightening in the chair and clasping her hands, she watched her walk through the door, towering over the female guard who escorted her into the room. Dressed in blue jeans, a tucked in white T-shirt and a denim blue long-sleeved shirt with a number and the prison's name printed on it, she followed the finger pointed toward her visitor.

The moment their eyes met, the visitor's heart cracked upon noticing how swollen one of those pretty baby blue eyes were. It hadn't been long since she was transferred to the prison and already something occurred? Not for the first time she cursed her father. By the time she finished, she realized the blonde had turned her back, walking toward the door. She obviously intended to leave without conversation.

Palm slapping the glass, she begged her to change her mind although aware she couldn't hear her. Thankfully, the guard who tagged along with her blocked the exit while peering upward, mouth rapidly moving as she touched an upper arm.

Her heart must have been beating two million times per minute when the prisoner changed her mind, walking toward her. Staring through her good eye, she sat down, unhurriedly reaching for the corded phone, which she pressed to her ear. Phone removed from the hook on her side, the visitor hesitantly smiled.

"Hi, Piper."

"What do you want?"

The voice reaching her ear was filled with such iciness she actually felt a shiver. "Wanted to see how you were doing."

"Oh! You want to know how I'm doing?" She waited until the other woman nodded. "Well, let's see...thanks to your father, this is my new home for the next eleven years. And damn, the accommodations are so lovely. I get three square meals they tell me when to eat, I'm told when to go to sleep, told when to rise, told when I may take a shower with a group of other women, get to take care of toilet matters in front of other women and if I'm good, I'm allowed to venture outdoors for an hour or so. Oh, yeah," Piper pointed toward her injured eye, "some sweetheart named Silver decided to make me her bitch, so she officially renamed me cub and gave me this gift. So as you can see, Larisa, I'm doing fucking peachy. How are you?"

"I'm sorry," she whispered, tears quickly approaching. "I'm sorry about everything that has happened to you. You don't deserve this. Not at all."

"Thanks." There was a negative amount of gratitude in that reply. "Are we done?"

"Piper..."

"What?" Gaze sharpening, Piper clutched the phone so tightly her knuckles paled. "What could you possibly want from me? Last year you screwed me literally and this year your father screwed me in a much different and catastrophic way. We're done remember?" Willing herself not to cry, she pointed at her visitor. "You made that quite clear so again I ask what do you want?"

"I was concerned about you." Larisa's eyes were just as soft as Piper's were hard. "I wanted to apologize for...everything. Piper, I lov--"

"Don't!" She banged a fist against the glass, the guard on duty in the visitor's room issuing a warning. "The only love I see and feel when I look at you is your name. Allow me to serve my eleven year sentence in peace by leaving me the hell alone." Phone slammed back onto its hook, Piper stood up and walked away as her visitor began to cry with such force that an employee spent time comforting her until she regained enough composure to leave.

.

Larisa rapidly blinked when the car behind her honked. Waving an apology, she continued across the tracks, the train she and other drivers had been waiting to pass almost out of sight. Checking the odometer she groaned, realizing that she would arrive at the hospital in under five miles.

Their next reunion wouldn't be awkward in the least bit.

Groaning again, Larisa thumped a hand against the steering wheel while her headache made a comeback. "Shit."

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

"Desiree Love?"

Straightening up from the water fountain, Desiree swept a hand over her mouth as she turned around offering the thirtysomething blonde a friendly smile. "Yes?" She assumed the woman wasn't part of the hospital staff as she wasn't dressed in any uniform nor did she have a badge clipped on a visible section of her person.

Although she looked nervous, the woman returned her smile. Glancing around, she asked if they could speak somewhere more private than a corridor. Despite having yet to learn her name, Desiree led her toward the waiting room where two people sat playing checkers. Occupying another table across from one another, Desiree patiently waited for her to explain.

"Last night the news reported that Piper Redding was still alive and I just knew...knew I had to come." Placing a spacious purse on the table, she played with its strap. "Getting a babysitter, I bought a plane ticket." An audible breath expelled, she forced herself to meet Desiree's gaze. Asked if she knew Piper, she shook her head. "Unfortunately, I know--knew her brother. I'm his ex-wife Andrea Gibson."

So much activity in the last week, Desiree was somewhat surprised that she could still feel shocked. "The mother of his children. A boy and a girl."

"Yes." Suddenly looking ten years older, Andrea briskly rubbed a hand up and down her face. "I haven't told them what happened. How do you explain to small children that their parent is--was a monster?"

When Desiree grappled for a response she reached across the table to gently pat the back of her hand. "Don't worry, honey. It was a rhetorical question." She patted her purse next. "I came to San Francisco because I have something meant for Piper from Emily." She began to unzip her purse. "Because I thought she was also deceased, I had put this away." A nine by twelve inch manila envelope pulled out, Andrea slid it across the table. "Emily overnight mailed that to me in a larger envelope. I received it the day after I discovered what my ex-husband had been up to. A brief note implored me to make sure that it be delivered into Piper Redding's hands, so I figured you could give it to her."

Without touching it, Desiree read the neat handwriting created in a bold black marker.

To: Piper Redding

From: Emily Gibson

Please open ASAP

"What is in the envelope?"

Andrea shrugged. "As you can see, it's sealed. I didn't feel right opening it. However, it does feel like there could be a disc inside. You'll give that to her?"

Desiree readily nodded. "Of course. You took a plane ride to get here. You don't want to meet her?"

"Would you want to meet the ex-spouse of the person who secretly terrorized you for ten years, then had every intention of ending your life? I'm relieved I ran into you first. Think it's better this way." When she attempted to apologize to Desiree for the hell Victor put her through, the other woman wouldn't hear it.

"You don't have any reason to apologize, Andrea. You're not responsible for his heinous actions. She's upset yes, but Piper wouldn't take it out on you. You don't have to go in there to meet her today, but please don't walk out of her life for good. Your children...they're the only family she has left and I believe she would be interested in meeting them someday."

"She's their aunt. They have another aunt. Desiree, I know it will be difficult to believe, but Emily was amazing with them. They adored her. I don't," Andrea blinked away tears, though a couple stubborn drops fell, "understand how she could agree...never would have suspected she was capable...I feel guilty for mourning her. I loved my sister-in-law. When Victor and I split she was there offering support, being a great friend and super Aunt Emily." After a moment's pause she quietly added, "Guess you never know someone." The dam behind her eyes broke the second Desiree tugged her to her feet and wrapped her arms around her.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Seated behind the wheel in the visitors section of the hospital parking lot, Larisa tugged the wallet from her back pocket. Opening, she flipped to the few pictures she kept within. Despite wanting to peel out of that parking lot without picking them up, a soft smile curved her lips as she gazed at the last photograph. So beautiful and hopeful, beaming toward the camera while stretched out on that chaise lounge dressed in a pair of shorts that showcased long, perfectly tanned legs with a matching bikini top that showcased a generous pair of...

Groaning, Larisa slapped her wallet shut. No use taking a stroll down memory lane. Unfortunately, her brain held other ideas.

.

Officially the most gorgeous girl she had ever seen. Not just in Jamaica, but anywhere she had ever been. Having been ogling for the last five minutes, all she had to do was build up the courage to approach her. No big deal if she turned her down. At least that's what Larisa tried to reassure herself.

Taking a deep breath and reminding herself to relax, she headed toward the tiki bar positioned directly on the beach, the pleasant sounds of a nearby reggae band reaching her ears. Occupying the tall wooden stool on the blonde's left, she smiled when she caught her eye.

"Caribbean Romance."

An eyebrow lifted, the girl quizzically stared. "Are you asking me to have one?"

That wasn't what she meant, but Larisa decided to see where this conversation led. "If I were, what would you say?" She tingled upon catching a fleeting grin.

"I dunno. Buy me a drink first."

"I recommend the Caribbean Romance."

"Does that have liquor in it?" She waited for confirmation, attaining it with a nod. "Back home I wouldn't be able to drink alcohol. My friend Taj told me there's no age limit here in Jamaica." A longer lasting grin showed. "I've been waiting to see a five-year-old walking along the beach with a colorful beverage in one hand and a toy in the other. Glad I've yet to spot one."

Larisa barely heard a word passed 'wouldn't be able to drink alcohol'. Damn, was she underage? Was she just tall and well...very well developed for her age? "Has white rum. How old are you if you don't mind my asking?"

"Eighteen. You?"

Yes! Larisa felt like pumping a fist through the air, yet managed to keep her hands on the bartop. "Twenty-one. Would you be interested in a Caribbean Romance?"

Smile coy, she leaned in, lips brushing an ear as she whispered, "Maybe."

Tingling having doubled, she signaled the bartender before extending a hand. "My name is Larisa." A warm palm slid against hers.

"Pleasure to meet you, Larisa. I'm Piper."