14- Bitter Truth

Your ears could not believe what you were hearing. For a moment you almost lunged at her for coming up with such a believable lie just to hide her sin, but the sincerity in her words as she was speaking out her emotions was enough to shake your world.

Every word she spoke was accompanied by a quiet tear; the proof of her vulnerability. Her story was none other than what many girls and women faced nowadays; domestic abuse.

"On September 13th, I took my last breath and unfortunately, my boyfriend was the reason," with a shaking voice, Jieun narrated her miserable life before death.

"We were young, we were happy, we loved each other, but as time passed, he changed. He... ruined himself, he was drunk every day. I don't know the reason behind his sudden addiction but he became a drunkard.

"He wasn't like this, he didn't even like alcohol but one day he came home with a bottle in his hand, his eyes were droopy and his breath stank. I asked for the reason behind his state and that was the beginning of my doom. He slapped and beat me till his heart contented."

By now she was a sobbing mess yet again. Jungkook was by her side, rubbing her back to console her.

You were stunned, you were a living statue right now as your ears refused to believe this horrendous act. Your eyes teared up and you were barely refraining from crying.

Jieun wiped her tears and continued, "It went like this for a few months, I stopped seeing him. he approached me a lot of times and would beg for forgiveness but I couldn't forgive him at some point. Tell me, would you forgive him?"

You shook your head with a frown on your face.

I would have dragged him to the police station and locked him up for a lifetime.

A bitter smile shadowed her face, "I did. I forgave him a lot of times, I forgave him every time he repented. I forgave him every single time, and I regret it now. I shouldn't have forgiven him the first time he hit me.

"September 13 was our anniversary. I hadn't seen him for a week because I was determined to break ties with him even if it hurt. Like always, he apologised but I ignored him. I wanted to break up with him so I went to his apartment, he opened the door and I was disappointed to see his drunken state. Somehow, I gathered courage and told him the reason for my visit... but he..."

She was shaking, her hand was trembling badly, her tears stained her cheeks, and her legs were wobbling as she could not stand anymore.

Watching her state, you slowly lifted your hand and held hers, taking her in your embrace.

You could not help it. No matter what or who she was, she needed comfort and you were not that heartless to not help her. 

A part of you pitied her. Judging by her looks, she seemed like a young girl who had a long life ahead but was not lucky enough to survive this cruel world. She did not deserve this or any other person.