TEN

The guards had arrived a few hours ago. Each of them with a new distain against the Cullen clan. My mates were busy discussing and documenting the events that Jane had let Aro see.

I sat in the guard common room. It was filled with sofas, beanbags, consoles and a huge tv. Anyone would think it was a normal 21st century teenager's room. Not at all would someone think it belonged to a bunch of ancient vampires.

"So that Bella girl is still human? Isn't that against your laws?" I asked, spread out comfortably on a very large beanbag. Gray trackies and a light blue cropped vest graced my figure while my black oversized hoodie lay discarded on the floor.

"Yes." Jane's reply was blunt, a bit like her. She was in her usual cloak, sitting on a chair.

"Doesn't that mean that I'm in violation of your law?" I cringed at the thought of being killed because of it.

"Technically no," Alec came and sat down next to us on the floor, "You are here with us, within the castle, therefore there's no risk of the vampire secret getting out."

Chelsea and Heidi turned towards the three of us, as well as Felix who had become intrigued by our conversation.

"Besides, it goes against the nature of a mate. Your mates would never harm you in any way. So for them to bite you, essentially kill you. They couldn't do it unless you'd ask." Chelsea explained, I nodded eagerly taking in the information. It was nice to know they wouldn't hurt me.

"Considering they've been without a mate for around three thousand years and that there's three of them I'm truly surprised you're not locked away in the tower to keep you safe." Felix stood with his arms folded over his chest.

"They try something like that and they'd get the silent treatment for the rest of their lives." I scoffed knowing full well that I would resist speaking with them if they even tried something like that.

"I like you." Felix smirked.

"I told you that you would." Demetri laughed.

"Tesoro." Everyone seemed to become stiff as Marcus' voice drifted inside the room.

"Yes dear?" I spoke teasingly. This had been my favourite thing to do lately, tease all three of them. Not only did it pass the time but it seemed to bring us closer and I liked that a lot. I ignored the snort that came from Chelsea at my words, purely focusing on Marcus' red eyes.

"Would you care to take a walk with me?" He asked coming closer until he was in front of me.

"I would be delighted darling." I winked picking up my hoodie before I stood taking his outstretched hand. "See you later." I said to no one in particular. A series of ' goodbyes' followed as Marcus led me out of the room.

We walked through the halls of the castle, eventually coming to what looked like a dusty ballroom. A black grand piano sat abandoned in the middle of the room.

"I'd like to address something Tesoro." Marcus suddenly spoke up.

"I'm all ears." I smiled at the brunette.

"When you met the wives, we never discussed mine."

"You have a wife? I just thought you weren't married." I frowned looking at him expectantly waiting for his answer.

"I did have one," he began, "Didyme," a smile crept onto his face. "She had the gift of making people happy, it suited her perfectly." He explained everything, from how happy they were together to when they decided to leave the Volturi. All of it.

"What happened to her?" I asked softly.

"She was killed during a battle with another coven." His voice broke.

"I'm sorry," I looked at him with all the sincerity I had, "You had the greatest love of all time, and lost the greatest love of all time."

"I did loose her. But then in the midst of all that pain, a miracle happened. You appeared right there in front of me." His lips quirked up into a slight smile, there was pain behind his eyes yet his entire face held a sort of comfort to it.

"I could never replace her." I shook my head biting back tears.

"No one can replace each other. You are no replacement. You're the end of my suffering. My true mate." He said firmly. We stayed like that for a while, just looking at one another. His face looked so soft, yet was hard and ice cold when touched. There was something tragic about it. He was nothing like I thought he would be.

"Marcus." The whisper left my lips before I had time to bite my tongue.

"Yes Tesoro?"

"Please," I let my eyes flutter close, "kiss me please."

He complied instantly. His lips pressing against mine so softly I wasn't even sure he was there at first. When his mouth began to move against mine my heart jumped for joy. His kiss was soul consuming, had me gripping onto his suit jacket.

"You're my joy Tesoro." He whispered gently.