Chapter 22: Truth Finds a Way

My heart pumps rapidly and I feel my body shaking. 'Tell him.' My heart yearns to tell him, but it's impossible.

"I-I-I didn't... land on my... hands... I guess."

Mr. Strong's hard glare stares daggers into my heart. "Aurora, I don't know what's going on, but you are hiding something. And when I find out, you better hope I'm in an understanding mood." I look up to him and see pain clear in his eyes. "I-I'm not hiding... anything.... Nothing that would concern you."

I look down and take the ice pack from Mr. Strong's hands as I get up from my spot on my desk. "I made your schedule for today, Sir. But, Mr. Cortal said he may or may not be able to attend the conference for the stock market." I hand the schedule to Mr. Strong and wait for him to take it from my hands. "Email it to me. I'll print it from there." I sigh in disappointment. I can't stand seeing Mr. Strong against me.

"Sir, if anything was happening, I would be sure to tell you. I swear." I put on the most believable face I can before returning back to my work.

The rest of the day is so painful as I keep thinking about what awaits me at home. The little glimmer of hope still shines as I think about going home to no father. Maybe he didn't think I was worth it anymore.

'Don't make me laugh.'

I sigh and look up to Mr. Strong's desk. He's on the phone with someone, and by the look on his face, it's serious. I wonder who he's calling. 'Who cares. I say we buy a baseball bat and kill that guy the second he comes into our home. I'm sick of getting beaten up by him.' I sigh again and, putting my head down, I start to cry, pain building in my heart. Why is this so hard!? Sebastian, help me!

* * *

I pack my things up and put them all neatly into my desk, making sure everything is lined up exactly. "May I walk you to your car, Miss LaRue?" I look up and see Lia standing in front of my desk. "What?" She repeats her statement more deliberately as I look at her a bit confused.

"Um... I... I guess. Sure." As we walk out of the office, Lia gives Mr. Strong another one of those looks. Mr. Strong only shakes his head in disbelief at Lia's knowing look. "So... How's your father and mother? They both must be proud of you." I feel pain build in my heart and my chest constricts at the thought of my mother.

"My--m--my...." I can't hold in the tears. "My mom's dead. So is my dad." Lia stops walking down the corridor and looks me in the eyes. "Are they?" Her gaze is iron; nothing gets in, nothing gets out.

"Y-y-y-Yes." I answer simply. "I'm not so sure." I frown and look back up at her. "What are..."

"Where'd you get that bruise?" Her voice is strong and hard as she cuts my denial off. "I fell off my bike."

"Really?" She lifts her eyebrows in disbelief. My heart will not be calmed as I start to walk again, faster then before. "Miss LaRue, what are you running from?" I stop walking, anger boiling up in me. "Are you insinuating that my father beats me!?" I shout at her, my voice louder then I've ever raised it before. She walks up to me, closing the gap between us with a stoic look in her eyes. Her voice is low and quiet but as heavy as a weight in my heart as she responds.

"What made you think I was talking about your father?"

Then the words sank in after a moment. I gasp and step away from her. "I--well, I...I assumed..." I couldn't finish my sentence. I turn and start to run out of the corridor, tears and sobs begin erupting from my body.

The sobs shake my body violently as I use the emergency staircase instead of the elevator. I run out of the building, passing Gloria, passing Nancy, passing it all.