Chapter 2: Past Fears and Future Pains

Brad was laughing and smiling with the same dazzling smile as they talk and make jokes, no doubt about me.

Maybe I should just walk by and explain to Brad later. I mentally nod to myself and begin to walk. Just walk past them, just walk past them. They won't notice you. No one ever notices you, don't worry. Just don't make eye contact.

My pace quickens considerable as I near the group of boys, as does my heart rate. My heart beat picking up a few notches every time I get closer and closer, I start passing by Brad and I see his head turn towards me in my peripheral vision. Ugh, just keep walking, just keep walking. Maybe he'll let you go.

"Hey, Aurora." I stop hesitantly and cringe.

I really don't want to face all those boys. All by myself. Without Ruby to keep them from completely clobbering me with insults and jokes.

I plaster a shy, small smile on my face. I turn around and walk over to Brad.

"The boys and I were just saying how great your speech was. They really liked the part with the condom box." I plaster an even bigger smile on my face and laugh.

Hahaha. Yeah, I bet you did you little basta-- "But seriously, Aurora." Drake's voice cuts through my angered thought.

"We just wanted to say sorry for all the pranks we played on you."

My eyes shift from Drake to the ground and smile, still a little hesitant to accept his apology. My heart jumps when I realize that this in itself might be a prank.

My eyes widen and I flinch at Brad's light touch on my shoulder. "Relax, Aurora." I smile innocently, trying to move on from the thought. The boys laugh as they study my every emotion that flits across my face.

I blush and search for my phone in my pocket. Crud-nuggets! I forgot my phone in the stall.

"Brad." I whisper Brad's name, not eager to speak to the whole group. I cup my lips with my hand as I speak to Brad. "I forgot my phone in the bathroom."

"Oh, I'll come with you. See ya guys. Good luck with life. Call me some time."

"Yeah. Like when I need money." Drake jokes. Brad and the rest of the boys laugh as Brad grips my arm and pulls me back towards the bathroom.

"You need help looking for it?" I stiffen at the question and the touch of another human being against my skin, especially a man. Me? In the bathroom with Brad? Alone? With one else around? 'Yeah, so no one can hear you scream'.

My inner diva is taunting me again.

I hate her sometimes.

Oh, correction, I hate her all the time. Brad holds the door open for me and walks into the girls bathroom with me. I freeze and spin around.

"What are you doing?" My fear and intolerance of all men is getting the best of me. Brad looks to me with a bit of a worried look in his eyes.

"Aurora. Relax. There's no one here. They won't see me." See you do what? My heart leaps into my throat. I let out a strained laugh along with a mock smile.

"Um... I think I used this stall here." I turn around, pointing an unsure finger to the stall behind me, finally starting to realize how badly I'm overreacting.

"Is that it?" I see Brad's arm reach across and point. I walk into the stall to retrieve the phone. "Yes. That's it." Brad walks up to me, blocking the opening to the stall. I blow on my phone, removing most of the dirt and grime from the case.