Chapter Six

Everyone has a dream when they're a child. To ride a unicorn. To fly. To have magical powers. Mine was different. I didn't want any powers or unicorns- which, ironically I got.

No, all I wanted was a sibling. Someone I could grow up with, so I wasn't lonely. I was the happiest child on earth the day I found out my Mom was pregnant with Amy.

I soon realized that even if I had another person with me, I was just as lonely as before. Maybe even more.

From the moment she was born, she was the center of attention- which was fine, I never liked attention much anyways- But she took all of the attention.

No more bedtime stories. No more playing with mom and dad. No more anything. Yet I was expected to be the role model. But how was I supposed to do that if o didn't know how? Who's my role model?

No one. That's the answer. I had to make all the mistakes so she wouldn't have too. That was my job. I only realized how much I failed at it when I was forced to retire. I made plenty of mistakes, but I never taught Amy how to avoid them. I was too caught up in the jealousy of attention and competition of "Who's The Favorite Child."

Only now, I'm not gabbing arm annoying little sister, I have to deal with an illegal pregnancy with my biological mom who I hate and am currently trying avoid.

"I know this is a lot, but I can't tell you anything. I just need help with a plan and then you can leave. Or you could leave now- anytime you want!"

My mouth hung open as I stare at her.

"Sophie, please. I can't do this alone and your the only one I could tell. I don't know what to do!"

My mouth remained open. She's having a second illegal baby and she wants me to help her?

"How long?" My voice was quite but rough.

"Five months."

My eyes grew wide. "But-your stomach hasn't grown-" Oralie cut my off before I could finish.

"I took some elixirs to make me look like this."

"So... what are you going to do? Are going to retire? Are you going to give it to someone?"

"I can't retire, I have work that I need to do here and if I give it away then someone could do a DNA test and find out that the baby's mine."

"Well then... you could tell someone that you trust and ask them to raise it? Maybe you could even be in their life?" Sophie was trying her best to come up with a plan and shake away her shock and anger.

"I had that idea too..." Oralie looked anywhere but at me as she fumbled with her dress.

"And? Who do you want?"

Oralie bit her lip. "Not want. I need It to be..."

"Who? Just tell me!"

"You." I stare at her for a solid minute before a start laughing hysterically.

"You can't be serious? I'm sixteen! I have school! I have work! I have to focus on the Neverseen! I can't raise a kid! Plus I love with Edaline and Grady, how would it be a secret then?"

Was this a joke? This has to be a joke right? There's no possible way Oralie pregnant!

"I know, Sophie. But you need to do this. I can't step down from the council, I made a contract to the Black Swan. Please, I'll do anything. I have everything arranged for when the time comes."

"No. I'm not raising your kid for you. Figure it out and keep me out of it." I start to walk away.

"Sophie please do this! If not for me then for your sibling!" I froze. My sibling.

"That is not my sibling. You did not raise me, you are not my mother, and I don't care what happens to that kid, as long as I'm far from it."

I storm away. I know that was harsh. I know it was a lie. I do care about that kid. I don't want them to end up like me, or somewhere bad, or dead. But I need to. I don't have time for this. There's nothing I can do to help them.

I keep moving, until I'm back in my same spot, sprawled on my bed and staring at the ceiling.

I wish Oralie never told me that. What would happen now? For the kid? For Oralie? For me?

I know I'll never tell anyone about Oralie. Or never intend to. But Mr. Forkle can easily find out. And what about Fitz? Shoot Fitz!

I still need to talk with him. And now I have not one secret, but two. Then Tiergan will wonder what it is. Then he might tell Mr. Forkle and he can read my mind easily- I sit up before I can panic myself anymore.

I know what have to do. My heart twisted at the thought of it but I had already made up my mind.

It's what had to be done.

(Sorry this ones so short!)