Chapter Seven

School has never been fun for me. In the forbidden cities, sure the subjects were easy, but everyone hated me.

It's kind of like that now, except everyone hates me and it's hard. Bullying has gotten much better though. Humans are much more violent and ruthless. Elves mostly just whisper and mock me.

That doesn't make it any less hard to get out of bed every morning and force myself to get ready for seven hours of torture.

The worst part are these stupid uniforms. I mean, who needs a cape to wear to school?

I tug at the cape as I walk down the long halls, making my way to telepathy. I have to go now, exactly ten minutes before class starts.

Lucky for me, Fitz and Terigan have the same lunch time, which means I can sneak into the classroom while Fitz ears and Terigan goes to the office.

Terigan always goes to the office before class. I'm not sure what for but I'm sure it's some kind of teacher work.

Technically I have now too, but this is much more important. Besides I can eat soon, as soon as I do this.

My heart pounds loudly as I pick the lock to the door. It opens with a click!

I turn on the lights and check in the halls and the room to see if anyone's around.

Clear.

I pick up a note card from the pile sitting on Terigans desk and I pen. Scribbling the message down as fast as I can, I set it on Fitz's chair.

Last thing.

My heart feels like it's breaking as I slowly peel off my gloves. I take a last look at them before I slip off the rings, placing them on the note.

RING! RING! RING!

The bell. 

I run out of the classroom, shutting off the lights and locking the door."Yes, I'm sure Sophie's already in class. Maybe she just came early." Shoot.

I sprint the other way, almost teleporting from how fast I'm going.I turn the hall just as Fitz and Terigan turn the one I came from. I watch them walk in before I contine down the hall, winding up at the healing center.

Well, I have no where to go anyway, might as well pay Elwin a friendly visit. 

"Elwin?" I call out as I walk in.

"Sophie! There you are! You didn't come so I could take off your bandages! Wait, aren't you supposed to be in class right now?"

"Uh, no I'm in lunch. I just wanted to say hi." I rub the back of my neck sheepishly.

"Oh okay. Well, while your here let's get those bandages off."

Elwin finished up and we both got to talk for a little bit while I ate my lunch in there.

"Are you sure your not in class right now? I could have sworn you didn't have lunch last?"

"No, my lunch got switched so I have it now." I lied.

Elwin sighed before getting up. "Well, thanks for this amazing visit where your not almost dying, but school ends in five minutes so I suggest you get going before you get stuck in the hall crowd."

I laughed and waved goodbye before walking to the leap master. I already grabbed my bag and homework in case Fitz try's to catch me at my locker before I can leave.

As I glitter back into Havenfeild, I run upstairs-trying to avoid Edaline and Grady.

I throw myself on my bed as soon as Sandor and Flori are done inspecting.

I sit there for a minute before getting up. Ugh, I hate homework.

I don't have much, since it's the first day but it's still horrible.

It takes me two long, long hours to finish. I lay back down on my bed, perfectly content with taking a nap when someone knocks on my door.

Great. Probably Edaline or Grady coming to talk about my emotions.

"Come in!" I groan in my pillow. The door busts open, startling me.

"What is this?" Fitz holds up my note and rings as if it's evidence to a crime. 

"You can't just quit Sophie! This will make us stronger and help defeat the Neverseen! You agreed to do that, what changed? Is it because you won't tell me who your biological mother is?"

Fitz glares at me, waiting for a response.

"I know your mad, but there's things I can't tell you. Besides, I think it's best we leave this behind us. I don't think-" I cut myself off before I can finish the sentence.

"You don't think what? What are you hiding from me?" Fitz narrows his eyes.

"I'm not hiding anything!"

"Yes you are! I know you are!" Fitz sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Okay fine. I'm sorry for yelling. Just, please, tell me. Whatever it is I won't tell anyone. I promise, you can trust me."

I look down at my hands. "I... I want to Fitz. It's just...not my secret to tell."

He was silent before he clenched his jaw. "Fine. I'm sorry, but this has to be done. It's for everyone's good."

I realize what he's doing before he closed his eyes and reached for my head.

"Fitz, no! Stop!" 

I struggle but he keeps me still with his other hand.

I continue to struggle frantically until he opens his eyes.

"What did you do?"

(A little extra since both of the last chapters have been so short)

The note

Dear Fitz,

I'm sorry, but I don't think we can train to be cognates anymore. I have secrets that must be kept that you can't know of. I wish I could tell you but due to the paramountcy of the situation, I can't. Here are my rings back since I won't be needing them any longer and I doubt you still want me to have them. I truly am sorry and hope you can still trust me even after all of this. 

p.s

please inform Terigan that I will not be coming to class today and we need to schedule a meeting with Magnate Leto to cancel our training.

Love, S