Chapter Eighteen

Crushes. You know why they call them that? Because they crush your heart. That's what I've always told myself.

Sure, you don't see it in movies but it's what really happens in the real world. Romance movies are overrated.

There, everything always turns out fine with a nice "happily ever after" but in the real world, you fall in love. You trust them. Then they rip your heats apart and stomp on it.

I feel like kids are getting really ripped off with these romance movies. Too high of an expectation.

I've only ever had one crush in my life, Fitz.

Of course, the trust breaking, yelling and stuff made that go away.

Keefe's never done any of that before. He's always been there for me, time and time again.

I'm glad he's sleeping right now so he can't feel my emotions going out of wack.

"Fosterrrr, get your emotions under control. I'm trying to sleep over here." Opps, spoke to soon.

I tried to calm down my emotions but it was really hard when he's laying right next to me in the same bed with an really hot sleepy voice.

"Just go to sleep." He groaned, stuffing his head into the pillow.

"Sorry, I can't just go to sleep! That not how it works!" I whisper shouted.

"That's exactly how it works! You close your eyes and go to sleep!"

"We'll I'm not tired!" I argued.

"It's three in the morning how are you not tired?!" He hissed.

I huffed. "I'll go on the couch so you don't have to feel my emotions as much."

I got up with my blanket and dinosaur but he tugged me back down making me land back on the bed.

"No, the couch is uncomfortable. I'm not going to sleep until you do." Keefe claimed.

"But you need sleep!" I complained.

"So do you!" He pointed out.

"Well... fine." I sighed, grumbling as I settled in the bed again. I couldn't help but notice I was closer to Keefe this time.

I close my eyes, pushing back the scary images in my mind that kept me awake.

Eventually, I felt myself get tired and my eyes get heavy. I fell into sleep soon enough.

And you guessed it, I had another nightmare. I didn't wake up screaming, luckily, only a gasp and jolted up.

I remembered my promise to Keefe and shook him awake, feeling slightly guilty I was waking him up.

"Hmmm? Foster? What wrong?" He mumbled sleepily.

"N-nightmare, sorry to wake you." I said quietly.

"Come here." He patted the spot next to him and I scooted over.

"Sit up." I did so, him following in suit. He gently guided me to turn with my back to him.

I could feel his fingers brushing though my hair lightly then sectioning it.

"There's no reason to be stressed or worried. They can't hurt us here, the Neverseen and the lost cities are no longer our issue. We live here now, a fresh start. No one can hurt you." He muttered words and I could feel myself starting to relax.

No one can hurt me. It's just me and Keefe. Nothing about our old life matters anymore.

I can feel him braiding my hair which reminds me of Callas braids.