Chapter Twelve

Dreams never came to me very often. Mostly I had nightmares, especially since the Neverseen. I've thought about nightmares a lot. I've found the worst thing about them isn't waking up drenched in cold sweat, waking up everyone at three in the morning or even when I see the faces of my friends being killed and tortured by the Neverseen, the worst part is realizing my mind created it.

My mind creates a twisted, horrible scenario and chooses to play it for me while I try to sleep. The body can be cruel like that that.

And that's exactly what happened tonight, just like any other.

I woke up, screaming. I throw back the covers and sit up. Where am I? What happened?

I look around and notice I've moved from the floor to the bed. Keefe is smushed up against the couch, looking very uncomfortable.

I get up from the bed and check the time on the alarm clock set next to Keefe's bed on a nightstand.

5:47am.

I sigh and use my telekinesis to move Keefe on the bed. I pull the covers on him and go over to the bookshelf. I pick out The Hunger Games and go back to my spot on the floor, deciding I would read until the sun was completely up and then I would make breakfast for me and Keefe.

I read a few chapters a check out the window, making sure it wasn't too early before I got up to look for ingredients. He had all the basics, so I had a lot of options of things to make but settled for some blueberry muffins and eggs.

I tied my hardest to be quiet but gave up when the time hit seven thirty. He seemed to be a deep sleeper anyway.

I finished up the eggs just as the timer went off for the muffins, startling Keefe awake.

"Foster? What's that smell?" I smiled. He seemed to be getting used to not talking, but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it when he does incase that would make him uncomfortable.

"Breakfast. Now get up and come eat before it gets cold."

Keefe hopped out of bed and stretched. His hair was spiking out everywhere, somehow managing to look good.

"When did I get in the bed?" He asked.

"Oh, I put you in since I got up early. That couch looked really uncomfortable for you."

He nodded and smiled as I gave him his plate and silverware.

"Thanks, you didn't have to do this."

"It was no problem." We sat down at the wooden table.

"So...are you talking again or..." I don't want to make him remember he didn't want to be talking but I also didn't want to take advantage of his sleepiness.

"For now... nothing has happened so for when I talk to other people so I think I'm okay."

I nodded a started to eat my food.

"So, what's your plan?" I look at him with a questioning look, wondering what he meant.

"I mean, the council's basically after you so... what are you going to do?"

"Well, I need to find somewhere to hide, then I think I'll just hide there the rest of my life." I joked halfheartedly, but he didn't laugh.

"Find somewhere? I thought you would stay here."

"Oh, well... I just thought since you ran away from me and told me to stay away from you, you wouldn't have wanted me near you, Much less living with you." I realized how harsh that sounded and grimaced. "Sorry, I didn't mean-"