His death bed

Previously

"Here Mija go give this to señor Julio, he must be waiting on you."

Saying bye to Nana Isabelle I headed up the stairs to my room to give him his food

Now

Heading up the stairs now seems to take much longer than it did earlier today.

Or am I trying to avoid something. Sometimes I wish I knew what runs through his head but the cold exterior he shields himself with burns me each time I try to touch it, yet alone melt it.

How am I supposed to marry a man like that. I don't know him despite growing up in the same home. I don't want to marry a stranger and live my life in constant fear of what he could do to me if he ever lost his temper like he did today.

Besides that it feels as though the little control I had over my life is slipping right through my hands and I'm watching it happen.

"Finally that took forever." I said as I had reached the top of the neverending staircase or finally decided not to avoid the inevitable. Walking down the hallway I reached my room, placing my free hand on the door handle and pushed open the door and meet the sight of Julio sleeping. What could I say curiosity piqued rather intently.

"How can he keep a straight face while sleeping. Like seriously." I asked walking towards the bed to wake him but ended up sitting right next to him, secretly plotting his demise. Dropping the bowl of soup safely on the nightstand. I leaned in a little closer but I can't have his death bed be my lovely bed now can I? What kind of fiancee would I be?

"You know sometimes I feel like smashing your face into a table, that would relinquish some of the harm I would absolutely love to cause you."

"That's not a very nice thing to say now is it, Esmeralda?" he said with closed eyes.

"So you weren't asleep?" I questioned mildly surprised. He finally opened his eyes and looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"A question for a question right." He drawled while rolling his eyes. He should have continued maybe he'd finally find a brain back there.

"Why not, they both lead to the same answer Julio don't you think?"

"Well I cannot deny that now can I?"

"I'm afraid not, Mr Cambio. Now sit up and eat I don't have all day. I am tired and would love to have my bed back after burning the sheets." I said pushing the soup to him once he was sitting and looking less pale.

"That was just harsh future Mrs Cambio. You are being salty."

"Well that can't be helped I had to taste the soup to make sure it wasn't as salty as you."

"I beg to differ-"

"Continue begging it suits you." I shot back immediately but I could tell he was becoming rather amused by our banter. I could see it in his eyes.

"But plastic doesn't." he shot back. The nerve of this man. How dare he call me fake.

"Hey Julio, I'd watch it if I were you."

"Huh, really. Tell me what would you do?" he looked me straight in the eye and taunted me. But I wasn't going to give him what he wanted.

"Next time instead of checking how salty it is. I'll be putting laxatives. Let's see how you handle going to the toilet none stop."

"Is that a threat my darling Delilah?"

"Of course not Julio. Don't be silly it's my Christmas wishlist to Santa."

"Aren't you too old to still believe in Santa Claus?" he mocked

"Aren't you too old to still be throwing temper tantrums?" I taunted

"Back to A question for a question again." he said and we were back to where we started.

"My answer is still the same. Why not, they both lead to the same answer don't you think?"

"You missed one thing this time."

"And what was that."

"My name."

" You have two minutes left to take the soup, the meds and get out of my room Julio. Time is ticking. I have very little patience left." I stated while I took my night dress from my closet and headed into the bathroom to take a shower and get ready for bed.

"Delilah?"

"What?"

"Want me to join you?"

"In hell? sure." I said slamming the door behind me.

"You intrigue me Delilah, but what a shame. If only you knew." was the last thing I heard him say before a switched on the shower.

"I wonder what he meant."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________