Lonely

It's warm. The water in the stream is glittering in the sunlight, the birds are serenading in the trees. My breaths are the only sound accompanying the singing of the birds and the buzzing of the bugs.

The sky is the clearest shade of blue, there's not a cloud to be spotted. Down on earth, everything is green, alive. The air smells of grass and water, tastes as sweet as life itself. The life I never lived. The life I will never live. It's haunting.

I look around. The field behind me is green and empty. Everything is green. Everything is empty. I'm alone.

Alone by the stream, alone in the world, alone in the life I'm not living.

I walk barefoot on the soft grass along the stream. I look at the trees on the other side and the water lilies floating on the surface of the stream.

I step into the water. It's cool, my toes are freezing in seconds. It doesn't matter.

My skirt gets soaked. It's growing heavier with every step until I stand with water to my knees and look around again. I'm still alone. What did I expect? That someone would come looking for me? No, I'm alone, I'm always alone. But just a little while longer now, then, never again.

I ease myself into the water. It reaches to my throat. My dress is entirely drenched now, it will weigh me down.

This shouldn't be hard, so why am I afraid? I cannot be afraid. If I'm afraid, I'll fail.

I take a deep breath, for the last time, and I let myself sink. The glittering water invades my lunges, and I am no more.

Trigger warnings: suicide, drowning