19.

The end of Aurora's fifth year came quicker than she could of anticipated, and soon she was dismissed from the Hospital Wing (with the promise that she would write if she needed too) and back in her dorm room - packing her trunk

She had put an undetectable extension charm on her trunk, so that she could fit all her stuff in it without it overflowing, and had almost finished packing when she noticed that she was missing a book. Not just any book, but her favourite book - Alice in Wonderland.

It was a childish read, full of naivety and strange wonder, dangerous curiosity and simplicity - but she had had that book since she was five, and it held more memories than the girl herself did. In simpler terms, she couldn't loose it.

She searched the castle from top to bottom; starting with the courtyard and finishing in the room of requirement - it wasn't there. She than broke into the Astronomy tower - wasn't there either - picked the lock to Professor Trelawney's room - even though she had never been in there before - and even snuck back into the Hospital Wing. No sight of the battered blue cover of her book.

Disheartened, she made to stalk down one of her secret alcoves - the large one opposite the entrance to the Astronomy corridor - but than remembered that she hadn't any cigarettes left. Now in a foul mood, Aurora stomped back down to the Slytherin common room; her footsteps were echoing loudly on the stone floor and her hands were itching achingly for something to do - she settled on fidgeting with the fraying end's of her jumper. 

The ends of the wool were infuriatingly tangled, and it was irking Aurora more than fraying wool really should. She huffed indignantly as she failed to untie yet another not, and pulled at the threads so roughly that they cut into her fingers, causing her to yelp and loose her place. 

She was now walking blindly, bent in half with her eye line trailed solely on her sleeves. What came next was inevitable - she walked straight into somebody much taller than her and tumbled ungracefully to the ground. Great - just the thing to lift her shitty mood.

"Watch where you're going, bloody Merlin-" She scowled, glaring up at the snickering figure through a curtain of messy raven locks.

"Wotcher, Aurora-" They grinned, and it took Aurora a second to realise just who she had walked into, "Watcha doin' down there..."

"Oh piss off Frederick-" The shorter girl said, accepting his freckled hand and heaving herself off of the floor. Fred's hand was a lot bigger than Aurora's, and it swamped her much smaller scarred ones; she liked them, they were worn and soft and warm and large. She didn't let go, and neither did Fred.

"You wound me, Rory" He grinned, his cheeks dusted pink. "What are you doing down here? Shouldn't you be at lunch?"

"Looking for my book" She replied, pulling Fred down a candle lit corridor near the kitchens, "What are you doing down here Fred? And where's the other side of your brain?" She narrowed her eyes at him. "Your pulling a prank, aren't you?"