59.

Aurora's heart thumped in her chest as she approached the astronomy tower

Aurora's heart thumped in her chest as she approached the astronomy tower. It was five minutes to midnight, and Aurora was panicking; what could Remy possibly need? She had been actively ignoring Aurora for almost a month, ever since the Daily Prophet was published detailing the events of the second task, including Remy and Aurora's moment, Remy had seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth. Aurora had mulled over multiple possibilities, the majority revolving around Remy 'breaking up' with her or ending their friendship, and in the time it had taken her to get up to the seventh floor from the dungeons Aurora's mind had been racing.

Was Remy going to reject her? Would Aurora end up with a shattered heart and a flask of firewhiskey by the end of the night? Would she look down at Aurora in disdain, calling her worthless and a freak and every other insulting and potentially damaging adjective in the oxford Dictionary, or would she opt for physical violence? Aurora hoped so - she would much rather spend her night tending to her a broken nose than nursing a broken heart.

She arrived at the staircase leading up to the tower a couple of minutes early, but she didn't enter. Her hands were shaking as she stared at the bland mahogany door, her mind feeling rather hazy as it replayed possibilities and predictions, each feeling like a slap to the face as they were hurled at her fragile frame. Aurora shook her head, dark hair falling from her ponytail to frame her face, before she brought her shaking hands up to grasp the bronze door knob in front of her. She hesitated briefly, before taking a deep breath and slowly opening the door.

Remy was sat by the railings in the middle of the platform, her chocolate brown hair cascading down her back in rumpled and neglected tangles. She was curled into herself, her head bowed and her legs drawn up to her chest, and there was a bottle of something sitting to her left. She was shaking, her bare arms hugging her knees and, from what Aurora could tell, she was dressed in only her Beuaxbatons robes, which clearly did little to block out the cold.

Aurora stepped forward, her eyes fixed on the taller girls quivering form. It was unusual to see Remy like this, a stark contrast to her usual uptight posture and straight back, and Aurora's anxiety was quickly swept away by the overwhelming feeling of concern.

"Remy. . ." She whispered softly, her words swallowed by the tranquil night air, "What's going on?"

Remy didn't move from her position by the railings, the only sign that she had even heard Aurora being the slight twitch of her head. "I'm sorry." She said quietly, her voice cracking. It sounded as if she had been crying, her words strained and her tone raw, "I'm so, so sorry Aurora."

Aurora couldn't take it any longer. She strolled forward and seized Remy's shoulders, turning the taller girl to face her, and enveloped her into her arms.

The embrace was a little tense, given thecircumstances, but Remy seemed to welcome the comfort; she sank into Aurora'sarms, her head resting on Aurora's shoulder, hidden by a curtain of raven hair.Aurora was surprised at her own actions, she wasn't one for physical affection,but Remy had looked so desperate, so lost, that her body had reacted on its own. She didn't regret it, though, Aurora welcomed the warmth of the hug just as much as Remy did.