57.

Aurora sat in transfiguration, her eyes glued to the toad she was meant to be transfiguring into a worm

Aurora sat in transfiguration, her eyes glued to the toad she was meant to be transfiguring into a worm. She flicked her wand aimlessly, not even bothering to utter the incantation, and watched as the frog hopped around on her textbook.

Professor McGonagall was prowling around the room like an overly large Tiger, her stern face offering words of advice or criticism, sometimes even stopping students completely and correcting their wand movements herself. When she reached Aurora, however, her neutral face morphed into one of worry.

"Miss Black," She said, standing in front of Aurora's desk, "Is there a particular reason as to why you are neglecting your studies?"

"No, Professor." She uttered vaguely, still fidgeting idly with the tip of her wand. She flicked it sharply upwards suddenly, and there was a collective hissing sound as a wisp of smoke flew out of her wand, their ends transforming into three unmistakable snake heads.

"Oh," Aurora muttered indifferently, "Didn't know I could do that."

"I didn't, either." McGonagall said, her brows furrowed, "Why don't you meet me after class? Poppy's just delivered a fresh batch of shortbread biscuits and I don't think I can manage them all on my own."

Aurora's expression didn't even waver. "I can't, Minnie. Snape's got me in detention."

McGonagall blinked. Nobody had ever turned down an offer to have tea and biscuits with Minerva McGonagall before, and Aurora had never cared much about her detentions. She had skipped plenty in the past in favour of visiting her favourite professor.

"Right." McGonagall said, her eyes falling onto the un-transfigured frog that was still hopping about happily on the younger Black's textbook, "Well, you're not in this class to observe frogs, so get practising. Oh, and I need your essay. . ."

Aurora blanched. She smiled nervously, hoping that Minnie would wouldn't question her whilst she pulled her bag onto her lap and pretended to rummage through it. She had not, in fact, completed the essay, too busy staring at the ceiling in her dorm room, lost in thought. It came to her surprise, then, when her fingers clasped around the edge of a role of parchment. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, pulling the parchment out and placing it on the desk before her.

'Why it is important to keep a firm grip of your wand whilst preforming any spell concerning physical appearance'

Odd. Aurora couldn't recall even starting the essay, so how was it here on her desk?

Minnie, too, seemed surprised. "Thank you, Black." She said, cautiously picking the parchment up as if it were a bomb, "I'll return this to you next lesson."

Shocked, Aurora could only nod in reply. Surely she hadn't completed the essay early and forgotten about it? She shook her head and turned back to her frog, who was currently trying to fit inside of her jar of ink, and pulled out her wand once more. Maybe it had just slipped her mind? It seemed that way.