Chapter 8: The limb

This morning started the same as the others; with a "good morning Shae", and a "good morning" vibration. I decided to write the letter to my mom first so I could drop it in the portal while I was already out. I opened the small  compartment in my pack and pulled out be enchanted Fae paper. I only had four pieces that came with the guide to the other world. I set the other three pieces on my shelf , and sat down at my table With the chair I had made the last time it rained.

I constructed a light pen and began writing:

Dearest Mom and Alm,

You would not believe the most wondrous adventure this world has brought me. Firstly, mom, I am safe as can be! (Well for me) My newest friend is also my landlord. I have built a wonderful home in a kind Willow tree that I have since named Shae. Shae is my closest friend and confidante. (Shae also says hello by the way) This Willow is one of a kind and I'm proud to call it home.

I am so busy learning about this new world, that finding time to write you has been tedious. My explorations are incredible, but that's as much detail as I am willing to share.

I am absolutely happy here and reluctant to tell you that I will not be home soon. But I do not live far from my way back to you, so at first sign of trouble, you will see me again. Alm, Mom, I miss you so much and I love you endlessly. Please send the same message to Marv. I am happy and safe. And I will write to you again soon.

Love,

Ri

I folded the letter and addressed it to my mother before I sealed it with light which engaged its waterproof enchantment.  I placed it in my pack and put on my blade. I gave Shae my farewell pat and grabbed a slice of orange for the flight.

I flew to my portal first, and dropped the letter, but didn't leave until I watched it sink in and disappear in a swirl of glowing water. I flew around to see if there was anything I could find. Hardly anything. My most exciting find was a blackberry bush, and I believe I grabbed the last one of the season. When there was not much left to look at, I turned back towards home and came across a bed of cushion moss on the way. Which was a stellar find, because I needed to insulate Shae for the winter.

I cut a long rectangular piece and rolled it up to carry home. And made a small trail for me to be able to find my way back to the bed of moss.

"Shae! I found a blackberry"! I announced setting the large role of Moss down, and then pulling the berry out of my pack. I set it down on the counter next to my orange, as Shae vibrated her acknowledgement of my find. I grabbed another piece of orange to munch on as I unrolled the moss and pushed it against Shae's wall. I took a few steps back and then looked around the room.

"This is going to take at least 10 trips", I sighed.

She creaked in response.

"No Shae, I'm not going to ask Owen. He doesn't even know where I live".

She creaked lowly.

"What do you mean 'why not'? Because I haven't told him".

Shae creaked again.

"Well because I don't know if I want him to know where I live yet".

Shae creaked loudly.

"NO, I AM NOT ASHAM—Shae...don't make this about you".

Shae vibrated in laughter.

"Yes", I chuckled barley amused, "Ha. Ha. Very funny".

After eating lunch with Shae, I decided to go out more a tad bit more exploring. This time, in the opposite direction. I flew past Owen's, noting the huge bin with wheels and other humans as I flew by through the canopy.